Any IOWANS know about early 1900's regional music?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

DrummerMan
george martin

Any IOWANS know about early 1900's regional music?

Post by DrummerMan » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 am

This is a weird question, but I'm wondering if there's any of you from the fine state of Iowa who might know of any early 20th century music styles specific to the region.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:03 am

Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:20 am

I'm from northeast Nebraska, near the Missouri River close to Iowa...and from my understanding (family history books, relatives) it was mostly German folk music and polka. there were some pockets of Irish, Dutch, etc....but all the stuff I read talks about polka dances. then bluegrass made its way up the Missouri a little later on.

there is also some some recollection of classical choir music mostly associated with the church. tons of Lutherans church choirs around there.

I image Iowa was similar, being that is was also filled with cattle ranchers and farmers, many of german heritage.

hope that helps!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:55 pm

I'm going to lean on the polka statement...because my great-great grandfather (who was also the first Italian immigrant in Des Moines) had an accordion...

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:12 pm

kslight wrote:I'm going to lean on the polka statement...because my great-great grandfather (who was also the first Italian immigrant in Des Moines) had an accordion...
haha. my great-great grandfather was the first scotch-Irish immigrant in Wisner, NE...which at the time was a huge cattle ranching area, full of all German-speaking immigrants.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Yeah, I'd go with Ottobot and the polka. And hymns too (specially when played on an out of tune upright, it'll bring tears to your eyes)

PS Ottobot, small world! part of my family has been in Decatur for >100 years (probably nobody besides us realize how small those towns are!)

PSS that part of northeast Nebraska is indistinguishable from western edge of Iowa. The Missouri River even used to move around, literally changing what defined Iowa and Nebraska.

Although not the same area ( I think it was set in Mississippi), "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" reminds me of the rhythm and speech patterns i heard as a kid from old timer nebraskans from that area.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

dennisjames
takin' a dinner break

Post by dennisjames » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:47 pm

You might want to check out Al Murphy --

http://www.iowaartscouncil.org/programs ... rphy.shtml

Great guy with a ton of history.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:02 pm

good stuff. polka your eyes out.

also...lets hear from the OP.