It Might Get Loud (the documentary/movie)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:53 pm

I thought that it seemed like a weird as hell movie. Like, I felt like the film maker discovered that he had some kind of connection to those three guys and just decided to make a movie including all three without much further thought. That said, there was some cool stuff IN the movie.

I actually gained a lot of respect for Jack White after seeing that. The guy is a serious student of music and of guitar playing, even if it's not the same kind of studious that involves practicing scales and modes for hours at a day. He knew how to play those Zeppelin songs better than anyone else there and I think that says something. He also clearly maintains an enthusiasm for music in a "fan" sort of way that a lot of successful people at his age don't.

Similarly, I think my favorite scene in the movie is watching Jimmy Page listen to the 45 of "Rumble." After the dark periods he's had and sketchy moments, it's cool to see him still get turned on by that.

I actually kind of like Edge less after seeing that movie.

Still, I'd watch it again.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Here it is, if you haven't seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLEUSn8y9TI

That dude was in Led Zep and still smiles like this when he hears that record. How can you not love that?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 am

It's funny how the most Humble of the 3, was also in one of the biggest rock bands in history!

-Collin