Duran/Depeche turf: Lifestyle "Adventure" Rescued

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Duran/Depeche turf: Lifestyle "Adventure" Rescued

Post by Dakota » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:03 am

Into catchy artful synth-pop / electro-rock? Lost albums? Read on:

Fascinating piece of work just finished up: called in to rescue master an album of really terrific songs that had been sitting in limbo, but with a cult fanbase waiting. The recordings were done in the early to mid 2000's under (ahem) "not great" technical conditions for the band, but the inspiration was there. Remixing not an option. A mixed bag of flawed mixes, each with varied audio challenges and problems. Super TLC rescue, restoration, remastering commissioned.

Additional level of challenge: get this set of songs as much as possible sitting in the same spectral and dynamic and loudness territory as the band's recent work, which is well recorded and slick and modern.

I pulled out a whole palette of techniques simultaneously, hardware and software based, and lots of science and art TLC. And came up with a lot of new ideas and solutions, which I can draw on for the future. I love learning and growing!

The band and fans are quite pleased. Great album. A hard project, win:

"Adventure" by Lifestyle (Restored & Remastered by Scott Dakota)

http://lifestylemusic.bandcamp.com/albu ... remastered
Last edited by Dakota on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:06 am

If you are going to listen to just one song, "Discovery" is a good choice, electro greasy hooky dance floor rock:

http://lifestylemusic.bandcamp.com/track/discovery

(I was quite pleased to get the stereo field happening on this, and the snappy dynamics).