Film Score/Trailer Music Solo Project

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

SiegePerilous
audio school

Film Score/Trailer Music Solo Project

Post by SiegePerilous » Mon May 06, 2013 1:34 pm

I have been hard at work writing music for my solo project Siege Perilous, I currently have two songs released, and will soon be releasing much more, and I would love some feedback! - https://soundcloud.com/siege-perilous-official
Last edited by SiegePerilous on Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon May 06, 2013 3:49 pm

MIDI is not a symphony orchestra. While technically it's a 21st century work because of when it was composed, the compositional ideas in it belong to the 18th century or earlier (in some aspects, much earlier). Not that there's anything wrong with that. It would work well as a film score. I'm assuming "epic" is meant to describe the film this would be the score to, and not the score, unless the clips are just short excerpts of much longer pieces. Three minutes is not "epic".

I think it's good work, especially in the context of accompanying film, or a series in the "Game of Thrones" vein. I think you could describe it more accurately.

Are you looking for feedback about specific aspects of production? Since everything's MIDI, there's not much to say about mic techniques, etc.

SiegePerilous
audio school

Genre

Post by SiegePerilous » Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Actually ubertar, that is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. :) And Yeah, I just wasn't sure what to call it. xD And "Epic" would be referring to the sound of it, or what it would accompany, and if there were a way for it to not be MIDI I would do so, but I do not have near enough of the equipment to make that so, or the money for that matter, so MIDI is my only option, and what I meant by "21st Century" would be referring to, well, the sound of it I suppose, seeing as most of the similar music from the 17th-18th century has a much different sound, but I didn't think "MIDI Film Score" would be a very attracting title to go with. :)

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Tue May 07, 2013 5:27 am

It does have some of the qualities associated with the word "epic": grand, dramatic... but the word is overused and often misused; I'd avoid it. When I hear "21st Century" describing a composition, especially in the context of "Symphony Orchestra" I expect to hear something that challenges conventional conceptions of harmony, melody, rhythm or timbre (instrumentation) or some other dimension of the music beyond just style. This doesn't do that. That's not to say it isn't good-- it just fits a role that's different from how it was described.

"Possible Film Music for a ___________ (fill in the blank) Movie" might raise the appropriate expectations, and get you more of the response you want.

Good luck with this-- maybe I'll hear it someday at the movies, played by a real orchestra.

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Tue May 07, 2013 11:41 am

I think this actually pretty good, nice simple strong motor and melodic ideas, AND despite any literal meanings, this is pretty much exactly what most directors and producers mean when they refer to the "epic" movie score genre.

Musically I don't think you really need to change anything, THOUGH the rhythm on the 2nd piece is a little odd, but it might be fine an just what fits in a scene (hard to tell without picture).

What I think would help tremendously is:
1) getting better string samples and learning how to use the mod wheel to get some expression from them. (There's nothing wrong with things sounding "midi" in the right circumstance, but these sound kinda 90's and don't do your music justice for the people you'll be waning to show this to).

2) hire a female/soprano singer for the first piece. Possible that you could get away with a better sample but a real singer here would add so much dimension. (I don't think this is as necessary in the second piece with the male vocals).

3) same thing with hiring a real person to play the snare drum. That's the only percussion part that really blares out at me at being not so pleasing. It's pretty expected these days to hear taiko/big drums all quantified so I think you're fine there.

In my opinion, if you changed those things I think you'd have some pieces that could could comfortably and confidently give any producer or director.
Hope this is helpful. I'm only being critical because I think the pieces have good potential.

Best of luck!
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue May 07, 2013 11:58 am

Wow, very nicely done.

Most of what I would have said has been covered (but I'll probably say it anyway). I'm not too worried about Ubertar's language concerns, and I'm a journalist and a teacher and my father was an editor, so yeah, I get it. But I also get what the crazy kids mean by "epic" these day. And the score is orchestral, it's just not using an actual orchestra. Also, I think "20th Century" music would fit Ubertar's nit more precisely; nobody has really codified/defined 21st Century "serious" music yet, so the jury is still out.

As to Drum's ideas-- yeah. There are ways to make MIDi instruments sound less MIDI-ish; lots of time, editing, careful instrument selection, and "playing" them in with as much realism as possible, rather than step inputting. Also judicious use of effects to put them "in a room" (more live sounding and in-context). I think the string _sound_ was a little weak (_not_ the writing), and the snare drum bothered me too-- just a bit mechanized. Same with the choir voices. It's almost like these are good MIDI demos/drafts for the arrangements, but not the final product, which could use some tweaking. And yeah, adding live instruments and voices whenever possible has great benefits. But even Hans Zimmer uses MIDI when he has to; you can make it work.

All of the above is very nit-picky and should be taken with a large grain of salt, and the understanding that you wrote some really nice pieces that I'm sure some producer/directors wouldn't mind using exactly as is.

GJ

SiegePerilous
audio school

New Song

Post by SiegePerilous » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:07 pm

So I have taken into consideration what you guys have said, I will be going back through and attempting to make the older songs sound a little bit more realistic, I have learned a lot more about the programs I am using and I would love to know what you guys think about my newer song, I am attempt to make it sound a little bit more realistic still, because I feel like the choir sounds good, and realistic, but if it were real they would have no time to.. breathe, really. But it is not like I have a terrible amount of experience working with a real choir, so I would love your input. :) https://soundcloud.com/siege-perilous-o ... air-part-i

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Just suggestions-- maybe you could back the entire choir up a bit, volume-wise. Also, the highest part is what seems a bit over-the-top/unrealistic. And, you might consider putting some kind of volume swell from mp < mf on the downbeats of the choir part so that they don't "hit" so hard.

BTW, as far as I understand, choirs would approach a difficult to breathe part like that by using staggered breathing (different groups within sections breathing at different times to avoid big "gasps"/gaps for air).

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

SiegePerilous
audio school

Reply To Gregg Juke

Post by SiegePerilous » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Ahh, okay, that is actually very good advice thank you, as I said, I will be going back through and re-doing a lot of the album before it is released, and I will definitely make your idea a priority.

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:30 am

ditto on what everyone said so far
with emphasis on
1) use expression controls for MIDI instruments - that's what they are there for - newer (more expensive) samples/samplers can control playing technique to a very fine degree - pick from a wide range of samples to create some variation in sound - the human ear gets bored very fast.

2) since you are doing MIDI - explore the space a little - no need to stick to "Western Orchestration" add anything you can think off

I should mention one thing tho
what i use for inspiration is the set of Danny Elfman demos on Youtube
(just do a search of -- "Danny Elfman" demo )
one of my favorites is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3faoUNyf8mM
All Danny Elfman and laughable (compared to modern samples) EMU samples
but you cannot deny the talent and superior musicianship/performances on the demos.
Serves to set my mind in the right place when i do a project

this is also interesting :: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHDyeyGzXVw

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Cool links trevord, yes!

SP-- +1 to trevord's comments; Danny Elfman is definitely one of my favorites, but a great example of a composer that really integrates modern synths, electronics, rhythm programming, world music rhythms and instruments, and traditional Western orchestration is Hans Zimmer. He might be someone good to listen to when looking for idea's in that vein.

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

SiegePerilous
audio school

MIDI

Post by SiegePerilous » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Okay, I thought I would inform you guys. I decided to head over to my local Guitar Center, I picked myself up a MIDI Controller with Mod and Pitch Bend controls, It will be a while, but I am going to start writing & recording a song, which I will play completely with the MIDI controller in order to add life to the song, and post it back here to see just what you guys think.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 pm

Good plan. It will change your life. (Seriously, but very narrowly, and strictly in regards to your MIDI productions; the rest is up to you, it most likely will have no effect on dating, for example)...

GJ
Last edited by Gregg Juke on Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gregg Juke

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:39 pm

PS-- A serious tip: A little mod wheel goes a long way; subtlety is king.

GJ
Gregg Juke

SiegePerilous
audio school

MIDI

Post by SiegePerilous » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:49 pm

=D Well thanks for the tip! I also got a Line 6 POD HD Desktop, so I can add my guitar tracks to the songs. :)