Spacemen 3 cover

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

chris harris
speech impediment

Spacemen 3 cover

Post by chris harris » Fri May 24, 2013 11:55 am

I've posted about Skating Polly before. 13 & 17 yo. step-sisters who make incredible punk/indie/pop music. I've been working with them since they were 10 & 15. They were blowing me away with their great taste and creativity back then. And, they've gotten exponentially better since then. It's probably the most important music that I'll ever be involved with. Their music abilities are a little rough around the edges. But, every day smoothes those edges. I'm telling you, you definitely should keep your eyes peeled for what these girls will no doubt accomplish in the months/years to come.

Anyway, part of what makes them so great is that they have impeccable taste. I was shocked when they came in and told me that they wanted to cover Spacemen 3's Walking With Jesus. They have previously covered: M.I.A., X-Ray Spex, Ol' Dirty Bastard, and lots of other cool stuff.

The other thing I love about them is that their original songs are so incredibly well written that we rarely do much more with overdubs than just maybe doubling/thickening parts here and there. Outside of that, their songs are mostly drums/bass/vocals, drums/guitar/vocals, or drums/keyboard/vocals. The version of WWJ that they did was quite sparse. It was simple and very pretty. Just electric piano, drums, and vocal. We had talked about how a strumming acoustic guitar overdub might spice things up a bit. The girls really like my band, Depth & Current. I offered to take it to my band and attempt to fill some space with the kind of noisy, reverby stuff that we're into.

It ended up being a really fun song to cover. It looks like we'll have a chance to work with them again. I hope so. I feel like working with them makes me better. They're actually working up a cover of a song from our last album right now!

https://soundcloud.com/sqemusic/skating

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Sat May 25, 2013 5:10 pm

Nice! I really dig the clean guitar tone you captures. Very classic early 90's shoegaze sound.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:51 pm

Very cool. Love that song
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue May 28, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed May 29, 2013 8:51 am

This is so great! Loving this and passing it on!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed May 29, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks, Jeff!