Jazzes, by Vernon Wayne

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Jazzes, by Vernon Wayne

Post by suppositron » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:46 am

Hey dudes. My band just released this E.P. on bandcamp this week. We're kind of an indie-metal band out of Minneapolis. You can download the first song, Ghost Arms and Phantom Lips this week for free here: http://vernonwayne.bandcamp.com/album/jazzes.

You can stream the whole thing for free or the first person that wants it can use this download code and get it free: 6w7e-w5vx

Thanks for listening. This was recorded by our friend and bass player, Adam Tucker, at Signaturetone Recording in Mpls.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:26 am

Nice. Kind of progressive rock/pop too, maybe in that "Coheed & Cambria," "Minus the Bear" kind of way?

Interesting drum sounds. I used to have a snare that sounded just like that!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks dude! Yeah I'd say that's a pretty accurate description.

I believe the snare came with his Gretch Catalina Club kit. He had to have the bearing edge reworked on it because it was uneven. I could never get it to sound that nice when I tried to record it before that.

Thanks for the listen!
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:37 pm

i didn't know this was your band! this stuff sounds cool as hell. a lot different from your last one, which was also cool as hell.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:53 am

Hey thanks, Scott! Yeah we went a little less metal on this one. I think this one is closer to the music we all wanted to do. A little less spastic and busy.

I brought you up again to master this one f.y.i. but it was kind of a package deal on mixing and mastering. Just couldn't pass it up!

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:08 am

Oh, you can download the second song on the E.P., Get Your Torche, for free this week: http://vernonwayne.bandcamp.com/album/jazzes