NONONO remix (Indaba remix contest)

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

NONONO remix (Indaba remix contest)

Post by Corey Y » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:23 pm

I did this remix for an Indaba contest. I'm not an EDM oriented guy, so I just did a straight literal remix. Removed some elements, rearranged and changed the track "Pumpin Blood" into a piano driven indie/pop kind of ballad. First time I've done any kind of remix work, but it was fun so I thought I'd share it. Voting is open to the public, so if you like the track your support for the contest is certainly appreciated. There's also a lot of other interesting submissions too. Certainly a lot of to sift through, but I'd recommend checking some of them out if you're into electronic driven dance music (which is what most of them are, though not all). Not my normal thing, but it's been interesting to hear a wide variety of what people do with the same raw material.

http://indaba.us/q02ZG

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by WillMorgan » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:14 am

Sounds good. Because everything else is so clean the room noise at the start is a little bit annoying but that is the only problem I found. Don't have time to place it in context but it held up to the next mix after yours!
- EP "Built Some" released 12/13/13
http://willmomusic.com/

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:27 am

WillMorgan wrote:Sounds good. Because everything else is so clean the room noise at the start is a little bit annoying but that is the only problem I found. Don't have time to place it in context but it held up to the next mix after yours!
Thanks for listening. Regarding the pedal noise on the piano, not much I could do about that. I tried getting rid of it, but it just killed the sustain of the piano and there was only one distinct version of every progression. Everything in the song was pretty much sampled and repeated, based on what I listened to on the provided stems. It was about 12 sets of stems and some of them had several instruments grouped together. The original mix had a lot of distortion on it and with so many overlapping tracks, they didn't seem that concerned with little bits of noise on individual instruments. Since I was pushing the mix from a more aggressive electronic dance vibe and into something of an indie pop ballad, I just embraced it. The fact that it was so many tracks deep made it easier to remix without doing a "DJ remix", if that makes sense. I was able to take a lot away and move a lot around without losing the core of the song.