New recordings I'm very proud of, though...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dfieldmusic
audio school graduate

New recordings I'm very proud of, though...

Post by dfieldmusic » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:09 am

...I can't take any credit for the arrangements, which really make the whole thing.

My brother did a collaboration record with Paul Smith from Maximo Park - all arranged for a nine-piece band. I was lucky enough to take the lead on the engineering and I'm incredibly proud of the sound - the nearest we've ever come to making a record which sounds like a live ensemble (because mostly it was). I'm hoping it's going to bring to mind Talk Talk, The Blue Nile, Van Dyke Parks, Jim O'Rourke...

https://soundcloud.com/memphisindustries/04-barcelona

https://soundcloud.com/memphisindustrie ... ark-towers

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:11 pm

this sounds really really great. what studio did you do this at?

super classy and open sounding. the drums and upright are AWESOME.

i have been fighting with upright bass lately - how'd you get that sound? full but not boomy. open up top but not too bright either. dang, nice work.
the new rules : there are no rules

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:45 pm

sounds really nice. great space and balance, very natural feel. great arrangement. :)

I've been working on this chamber-folk record...and an album I've been referencing is the David Byrne "Lead Us Not Into Temptation" (Young Adam sountrack). Kind of has the live-ish small orchestra soind with some other modern instrumentation...very akin to that vibe. cool stuff.

dfieldmusic
audio school graduate

Post by dfieldmusic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:15 pm

Why, thanks chaps!

All recorded at our own place - a couple of rooms built inside an old industrial workshop unit in our hometown of Sunderland, north-east England. Nothing fancy but enough space to house a couple of pianos and record drums with a bit of distance. We had some fun keeping the main room door open and sticking a mic out into the load-in area for some drum reverb.

I believe the bass was just a U87 a foot or so away from the f-hole with a tiny amount of a Line Audio CM3 up the fingerboard. There was a fair amount of low cutting and some automated EQ dips when scratchy slapping sounds were sticking out.

I can't think of the music from Young Adam off the top of my head - I did go to see it when it came out. It was definitely nice to do something which wasn't dominated by electric bass and guitar. We originally put it all together for a one-off live show - learning how to drum quietly so I didn't drown everyone out was tricky but worked pretty well for the recorded sound I think.

dfieldmusic
audio school graduate

Post by dfieldmusic » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:57 pm

If anyone's interested, the whole album is streaming here http://drownedinsound.com/news/4148464- ... ield-music

Beginning to think I should have put "for fans of Talk Talk, The Blue Nile and David Sylvian" in the subject. Self-promotion fail!