Would Love a Few Ears on Xmas (raggae-ish) Tune.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Robertt8
gimme a little kick & snare

Would Love a Few Ears on Xmas (raggae-ish) Tune.

Post by Robertt8 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:42 am

Hey guys!

Our band has whipped up this Christmas style song and I wanted to run it by everyone to see if they found any problems with it.

I'm trying to master this myself, so please let me know as well if you hear any problems there before we release it as a single.

Check out the tune here: http://bagoftoysmusic.com/music/rudolph.mp3

Thanks!
Tait

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:32 am

Nice job.

Tiny mini-critique: the bass is there, but sounds somewhat boomy and indistinct to me. If the mix is finished, you could try tweaking in mastering, but I'd have a listen in that direction. I listened on an iPhone, with a set of Sony MDR-V900's...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Robertt8
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Robertt8 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:50 am

Thanks for checking this out Greg.

Great observation on the low end. is sounded fine on my cans, but after posting, I listened in my car and was overwhelmed with the bass. Between the bass, kick and percussion, it was getting nuts. I've since pulled it back. Thanks.

OogieBoogie
audio school

Is his nose really red?

Post by OogieBoogie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:29 am

Another good one. You write some good stuff (at least the two I have heard so far). I agree with the previous post about the bass. Very boomy. Don't know if this version is the "updated" version or not, but if it is, according to my cans and ears, it still needs to come back a bit. Glad to see someone is taking a new look at the holiday songs though. I wrote one recently called "Santa Funkin' Claws" but I have yet to get it going musically (just lyrics and a melody at this point). Maybe Christmas 2015 ;~))

Cheers~
~May Da' Funk B Wit U~
Funkcerely
Oogie Boogie of Da' Mutta' Funka's