Stuff mixing 2015

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:23 pm

hello. took a quick listen. overall I think you did a solid job. I know from some of your other posts you edge toward California folk (thanks for the lambert & nuttycombe recomend a while back)....and I think you nailed a kinda of island infused 70's songwriter thing here.

a couple criticisms:

-the verb on the vox is a bit much in some songs. think it might sound nice a little drier here and there.

-in three of the songs there was the same sort of cymbal swell to transition the chorus...mix it up a bit.

-the background vox are a bit much in some parts. by that I mean the arrangement is too is too obvious, and the level is a bit loud for my taste.

anyway. keep up the good work.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks for listening --- should mix it up little . We are definitely guilty of never spend much time on production. All the drums are just my fingers on the keys .. and if we are recording several songs in the same few days >> they do seem to have a similar cymbal / kit sound.

The newer songs we have migrated to more of a delay for VOX

We do record these in one session -- in other words :: we write /record the songs at one setting == on to the next . So the backgrounds are just to fill the song --since we generally only have a guitar driving the song - and the lyricists /guitarist is from Liverpool 50/60's >> So very influenced with early 60 tunes answer/call stuff >>>

We have another 300 to sit down to and mix

thanks for all the advice -- we need some direction :-)
Last edited by cjogo on Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:43 pm

https://soundcloud.com/cjogo

Maybe a little more diverse ....and different approach somewhat >> ..https://soundcloud.com/cjogo
whatever happened to ~ just push record......