Recording live group

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jhcore
ass engineer

Recording live group

Post by jhcore » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:18 pm

I got asked to help record a group for an independent film's soundtrack. The songs were learned on the spot, and the spot happened to be a huge, 1000 square feet space with concrete floors and fabulously high ceilings. The drums had a nice-sized carpet underneath, and the rest of the equipment (guitar amps, bass), were scattered in the space, fairly far away from the drums.

That being said, there is quite a bit of sweet, lovely bleed in the drum mics!

But I only setup the drum mics (aping Glyn Johns: 2 ribbon overhead, LDC about a foot from kick in a blanket-wrapped tunnel) and a guitar (Sennheiser 421). On the actual tracking day I was sick, so I think an AKG 414 was used on the bass, and a Nady drum mic was actually used on the first guitar heard on this track!

The drum overheads went through some CAPI VP26 pres; the kick and guitar were in a racked PM1000 unit. Everything ultimately went into a 8-channel Zoom recorder that was provided my the movie's music liaison.

Overall, I think the sound and vibe is kind of neat, but I'd totally welcome any feedback/advice. It looks like I'll have one last session with this group for more takes.

https://soundcloud.com/jhcore/mary-janes-10-26-15

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:35 am

It sounds to me like they can't hear each other very well. Maybe try it with them closer together. Good vibey tone though. Whether it fits the vibe of the picture, I obviously can't say.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

jhcore
ass engineer

Post by jhcore » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:21 pm

I appreciate your feedback. And I think you're quite on point. My thinking is that this recording is basically a rehearsal for the final tracking that's going down next week. Some of the playing here feels a bit unsteady, and some parts are walking over others. I'm looking forward to actually be in attendance for the final session so I can crack the whip. ;-)