Quincy Jones interview

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Quincy Jones interview

Post by shedshrine » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:52 pm

The 84 year old lets it all hang out..
http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-j ... ation.html

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Re: Quincy Jones interview

Post by kslight » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 pm

I loved it. Would be fascinating to pick that man’s brain.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm

honestly it sounds like he is getting high on his own fame. the amount of insane name dropping and outrageous story telling, not to mention bashing the beatles (and i'm not a beatles fan myself) just comes off as holier than thou. talented? yes, but if it weren't for those artists he'd be just another jazz crossover artist who tried their hand at producing. when it comes to the greats i prefer people like Smokey Robinson and Stevie Wonder who are a lot more gracious and humble than this ego tripping cat. IMHO

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Here, here. I'm something of a QJ fan, but it seems like he was going outrageous just for the shock value, and perhaps "because he can," in classic "I'm old enough to say whatever the %^$# I want" style. Bad form. PERHAPS the one incident with an over-tired Ringo having trouble (anybody else here ever have trouble with a punch-in, on either side of the glass??) is where the fictitious Pretty Purdie "I replaced Ringo on everything" rumors started (I know QJ was mentioning a different drummer, just postulating here).

Anyway, that interview was beneath Quincy and I hope someone muzzles him properly...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "