The Bad Plus

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

The Bad Plus

Post by shedshrine » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:39 am

Anybody else here appreciate these guys and their cerebral jazz punk ethos?
I was hooked after hearing their take of Comfortably Numb with Wendy Lewis doing the vocals. The band takes off into outer space at one point leaving her to hold down the fort. Hilarity ensued.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: The Bad Plus

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 am

I always get them confused with Soulive, from my hometown, and also one of the members was formerly a denizen of this very TOMB.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:42 am

I do have one CD but can't remember the title. an older one. I'll have to go dig it up and listen again if i can find it. i do remember liking it.

Edit: I have "Give"
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:48 am

Gregg Juke wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 am
I always get them confused with Soulive, from my hometown, and also one of the members was formerly a denizen of this very TOMB.

GJ
really? they are like complete opposites. Bad plus is modern jazz (acoustic piano), Soulive is Soul-Jazz Organ trio funk. That's cool that Soulive is from buffalo though, i didn't know that. Also cool one of them used to be on here, they all seem like down to earth dudes. killer players man, they are just top of the top when it comes to people putting out that kinda stuff today.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:16 pm

LUV those dudes. Saw them on the Jools Holland show many years ago and was instantly a fan. Tchad Blake's production - especially drum sounds - are mammoth on the ones he did...

And for cover songs - they take a wide range of cover tunes towards a whole different direction. Very delicious - and I'm not generally a fan of covers...

:cool:
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:34 am

LOVE them! They kinda lost me when they started working with that vocalist, but otherwise, brilliant. I got hooked on them from The Happy Apples, right around the time that first album came out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon May 13, 2019 2:19 pm

cgarges wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:34 am
LOVE them! They kinda lost me when they started working with that vocalist, but otherwise, brilliant. I got hooked on them from The Happy Apples, right around the time that first album came out.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Agree. The vocalist was a turnoff for me as well, but "Suspicious Activity" and "Give" are brilliant. I was fortunate to catch them live a couple times as well. Holy shit.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 30, 2019 12:35 pm

They played here in early December. What I really loved is how dialed in to one another they were. There was a real sense of creating in the moment, as an ensemble. They are quite engaging.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri May 31, 2019 8:24 pm

This just arrived, such as it is. Amazingly the cd itself got barely a scratch. Great freaking album!

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:01 pm

That's some durable music, to be sure. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:06 pm

2014 Inevitable Western- These nine tracks are equally divided compositionally among bassist Reid Anderson, pianist Ethan Iverson, and drummer Dave King. " Inevitable Western is a reminder that the Bad Plus are not a "piano trio" in any ordinary sense of the term, but a unit of strikingly different voices acting as one in expanding the boundaries of jazz."

Their 2016 album It's Hard marked their last album with pianist Ethan Iverson. "maverick, forward-thinking outfit unafraid to recontextualize both modern pop songs and traditional acoustic jazz. "

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:59 am

Vindicated. ;)

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "