Maren Morris - Girl

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Maren Morris - Girl

Post by wing » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 pm

Normally I absolutely *HATE* pop country. Typically I think it's cheesy, overproduced, and tries too hard to be top40 pop. When it comes to country, the only stuff I like is Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr., Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, and Neko Case (who I wouldn't even call country really).

So on a whim, I heard this album, "Girl" by Maren Morris. At first glance, it has all the trappings of any other pop country music and it's definitely top40 music. BUT, when I really listened to it, I was amazed how much I actually liked it. I really want to hate it, actually. I feel dirty even saying that I even remotely like it. But I gotta say, the production is stellar and tasteful. The drums sound soooo good, and there are sweet guitar and bass tones across the record. And while the songwriting is not necessarily my cup of tea (it definitely is still pop), I gotta say it's still pretty damn good for what it's worth. Production by Busbee and Greg Kurstin. Check it out.

jzahos
gettin' sounds

Re: Maren Morris - Girl

Post by jzahos » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:20 pm

Hey wing-

Just checked it out, and it is good!

RE: country music, have you heard Sturgill Simpson? I highly recommend checking him out. I think I might have a similar relationship to country music as you, and he just bowled me over. Been a fan since I first heard his "Metamodern Sounds in Country Music" in 2014 or 15.

JZ

wing wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:10 pm
Normally I absolutely *HATE* pop country. Typically I think it's cheesy, overproduced, and tries too hard to be top40 pop. When it comes to country, the only stuff I like is Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr., Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, and Neko Case (who I wouldn't even call country really).

So on a whim, I heard this album, "Girl" by Maren Morris. At first glance, it has all the trappings of any other pop country music and it's definitely top40 music. BUT, when I really listened to it, I was amazed how much I actually liked it. I really want to hate it, actually. I feel dirty even saying that I even remotely like it. But I gotta say, the production is stellar and tasteful. The drums sound soooo good, and there are sweet guitar and bass tones across the record. And while the songwriting is not necessarily my cup of tea (it definitely is still pop), I gotta say it's still pretty damn good for what it's worth. Production by Busbee and Greg Kurstin. Check it out.
: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :
www.jeffzahos.com