Listening to music ... like this?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

Listening to music ... like this?

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:01 am

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: Listening to music ... like this?

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:37 am

it would be very cool. but for some reason many Americans don't seem to believe the "mandatory" statements, or rules and laws seem to apply to them. I'm skeptical that this would be possible in the USA right now. Denmark did something similar - but in cars - and apparently people followed the rules, which is great.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/business-52807756

I played a few outdoor "driveway shows" and I'd say about 70% of the people were pretty well behaved. Ok, it started out at 100%, but after a few drinks were consumed, many seemed to forget about social distancing and masks, etc. but it was over quickly when the "no more than 10 in a gathering..." came down.
Last edited by digitaldrummer on Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:33 am

americans don't follow rules, it wouldn't work. some jackass in an american flag shirt mumbling bout "freedoms isn't free, costs folks like you and me..." and how he can do whatever he wants. that's why we can't have nice things.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:40 pm

Since all of my sight lines in big concerts like this have been ruined by douche bags recording video with phones and tablets, I expect those people are now sitting at home reliving these concerts through their screens and distorted audio.

I wonder if these same proposed venues have rethought the communal urinal / lady equivalent / rows of Johnny on the spot strategy or if you still have to interact with the same non-distanced assholes in the bathroom instead of in the mosh pit.

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:29 am

The last line of the CNN article cited by the OP sums up the virus dilemma: "Meanwhile, some partygoers are opting for illegal raves, with some events attracting thousands of people." We can't bring this pandemic to an end while this attitude persists. Even if a successful vaccine is developed, the anti-vaxers will ensure the virus survives. It absolutely breaks my heart what has happened to live performances.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

analogika
gettin' sounds

Post by analogika » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:01 am

Germany here. I played my first drive-in show last weekend, to about 250 cars (with beer benches next to each car, so its occupants didn't have to stay in the car for the show). 45-meter movie screen with live projection behind us. People brought boom boxes with radios and had a hundred little private parties going on.

"I WANNA SEE THOSE BLINKERS!" *flash flash blink HOOOOOOONK*

It was pretty surreal, but infinitely more enjoyable than not playing at all — and that was the feedback we got from the audience as well.

Our merch girl had a little cart and wove through the rows selling goods.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:28 pm

I'd rather be playing it than wartching it.

I live in a suburb of Chi and they have a cuppla 80's one-hit wonders playing a town-sponsored concert at the end of the month. Supposedly gonna have 30-50 "socially distanced" tables limited to 6 people each, and then space for a cuppla-300 hundred cars.

Cost the village US$300K, each ticket is US$30.

50 x 6 = 300 x $30 = U$9K

200 x 4 = 800 x $30 = US$24K

Best case scenario is a loss over US$250K so our RWNJ mayor can say, "things are getting back to normal, life goes on, we are open", etc.

And me, I'm not paying to sit in my car and listen to the radio, looking atta movie screen and my 3 friends to listen to partial-original member bands sing "Turn Me Loose" and "We Built this City". (I confess I did see the first performed when I was in college, opening, mebbe, for Cheap Trick? Genesis?)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:38 pm

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.