Khruangbin

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Khruangbin

Post by shedshrine » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:57 pm

Friend turned me onto these guys recently. Sounded like when you hear some great music wafting out of a club on a warm summer night and you get in there and everybody's vibin' together, the band, the crowd, slow dancin' or dancin' slow. Barefoot helps. Drummer's playing just the right stuff, reverb just off the amp, intimate, real. Damn.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: Khruangbin

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:32 pm

yeah i like them a lot, i have their first 2 records on wax, and their second record on cassette. i don't have the reggae album or their new one yet.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:33 pm

Trendy at talkbass, so I just got the EP with Leon Bridges.

It's OK, but there are other soul singers I prefer (ex., Black Joe Lewis, Curtis Harding), and I thought the musicianship was good, but kinda laid back on that record.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:52 pm

vvv wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:33 pm
Trendy at talkbass, so I just got the EP with Leon Bridges.

It's OK, but there are other soul singers I prefer (ex., Black Joe Lewis, Curtis Harding), and I thought the musicianship was good, but kinda laid back on that record.
get "the universe smiles upon you" or "Con todo el mundo". those are their best. 99% instrumental. the guitarist is like jimi hendrix meets world music. that first record (universe) he is channeling Thai funk music and it's F'ing awesome.

yeah i passed on the leon bridges one too, i don't like leon's stuff and i don't want K'bin as a backing band, they gotta do THEIR thang!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:13 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:52 pm

get "the universe smiles upon you" or "Con todo el mundo". those are their best. 99% instrumental. the guitarist is like jimi hendrix meets world music. that first record (universe) he is channeling Thai funk music and it's F'ing awesome.
"the Universe Smiles" is the one I've been digging. So tasty!

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:44 am

Saw them in Austin last year. tight band! the whole wigs thing is kinda weird and the drummer look like he's super bored. all part of the "shtick" though. I really like the almost surf reverb too. some on bandcamp here... https://khruangbin.bandcamp.com/
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com