Andy Martin, Knopfler, Buckingham..who are some awesome fingerstyle players?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
carpal tunnel

Andy Martin, Knopfler, Buckingham..who are some awesome fingerstyle players?

Post by shedshrine » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:25 pm

You've seen his playing demoing pedals, amps and guitars for pro guitar shop, Reverb, and now his own demos as Andy's Demos. His demos are uniformly awesome, and I always find myself watching his right hand more often than not. He would be getting those great sounds without a pick, but playing very articulately and with great dexterity and fluidity as if he did. It didn't sound like Knopfler, or Buckingham, it was his own thing.
Vid link is not a gear demo, it's Andy demonstrating his finger-style approach to playing. Very cool!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf24m4x ... x8&index=2

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' gear

Re: Andy Martin, Knopfler, Buckingham..who are some awesome fingerstyle players?

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:51 pm

I'm fond of Sadie Dupuis's playing in Speedy Ortiz.

Interesting video--I've been goofing around with more pickless playing lately, so it's neat to see his technique.

vvv
zen recordist

Re: Andy Martin, Knopfler, Buckingham..who are some awesome fingerstyle players?

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:37 pm

Weird.

I was just doing a pickless Tele track this afternoon.
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
carpal tunnel

Post by shedshrine » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:18 pm

Fair enough, (and more power to you!) If I had to guess , I would hazard most guitarists who've played a while at least dabble with finger style from time to time. Half the time I don't use a pick myself. lot's of screwing around experimenting and working on getting interesting patterns under the fingers. Players that really stand out in this playing technique/style/method/regard are what inspired this thread.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:43 am

Well then, Albert Lee, and lately, Jeff Beck.
bandcamp; vlayman;
THD; Geronimo Cowboys;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
re-cappin' neve

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:57 am

any classical or flamenco guitarist. when i started to learn the guitar i was already playing bass with fingers. the pick and hand/wrist motion seemed very unnatural (still does). so i learned to play classical guitar on a nylon string guitar. i still play that way to this day even though i mostly play electric (when i'm not playing bass). i think it's cool/unique and wish more would do it.

side note: i also really dig the OLD style jazz style where you only play with your THUMB. All downstrokes. wes montgomery smokes. jim mullen is another that's great. it is a different sound that is cool and you don't hear it much.

Burnt Ernie
pushin' record

Post by Burnt Ernie » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:27 pm

markjazzbassist wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:57 am
any classical or flamenco guitarist. when i started to learn the guitar i was already playing bass with fingers. the pick and hand/wrist motion seemed very unnatural (still does). so i learned to play classical guitar on a nylon string guitar. i still play that way to this day even though i mostly play electric (when i'm not playing bass). i think it's cool/unique and wish more would do it.

side note: i also really dig the OLD style jazz style where you only play with your THUMB. All downstrokes. wes montgomery smokes. jim mullen is another that's great. it is a different sound that is cool and you don't hear it much.
+1000% on Wes Montgomery
I am the Walnut

Scodiddly
cryogenically thawing

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:03 pm

Pierre Bensusan is pretty amazing. Kind of sounds like two guitarists at times.