Lucinda, Bob and Tom; some reviews

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

Lucinda, Bob and Tom; some reviews

Post by vvv » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:12 pm

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Lucinda, Bob and Tom; some reviews

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:41 am

Time out of Mind is a reference here.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:00 pm

Yep, and that is my fave Dylan album in many ways, certainly of the stuff around that time, altho I have many fave Dylan albums.

And I've always felt that Lanois is, like Moulder, amazing in his aesthetics. Both of those guys arguably go for a kinda "wall of sound" thing, that I can't get close to.

I strive for clarity even when using Zvex'd guitars; seems to me those guys build that "wall" and then draw specific instruments and parts in and out of view.

OT on my own thread here, but lately I've been playing the Sugar and Ride stuff that Moulder did - and I love that aesthetic, that I can't do.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:02 am

time out of mind is my favorite dylan record. most of you are a lot older than me so you grew up with dylan, i did not. the first time i heard bob dylan was on a victoria's secret commercial singing "Love Sick" looking slick in a fedora while scantily clad women images danced across the screen. i thought this guy was so cool i had to check out his music. got the album, loved it, i then dove into his early stuff.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:19 am

I don't much care for Damn The Torpedoes, but the Classic Albums episode about it is great watching--Petty, Iovine, Yakus, Tench, etc. Great stuff.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:33 am

markjazzbassist: "most of you are a lot older"? Naw, that's just Nick. :twisted:

winky dinglehoffer: I don't know if I'm "a lot older" than you, but I will say when Damn ... came out it was a reference for every guy in the dorms with a half-decent stereo. That drum sound was yuge and when the story came out about Petty arguing with Lynch and breaking his (Petty's) hand and then firing him (Lynch) that was kinda a big deal.

I mean, we all felt like you don't have to live like that no more.

Petty, BTW is still a reference around here, but I like the Mojo record, altho' many go back to his solo stuff; the Wild Flowers remaster and Full Moon Fever in particular.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:36 am

vvv wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:33 am

winky dinglehoffer: I don't know if I'm "a lot older" than you,
I saw Petty before DTP came out (I was not even high-school age at the time)--so there's not much age difference between us-- & although he put on a great show (& it was one of the best triple bills I've ever seen), I was already pretty much past him by then. I appreciate that my lack of interest in Petty is mostly due to overreactive adolescent bias, but try as I might, I just can't get with anything he did after "Breakdown."

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:21 am

5-6 years, I reckon, I was a college freshman when DTP came out.

Now, if you had seen Petty open for, and then backing Dylan in '84 ...

Also, I played "Breakdown" in my first band, and taught me that as my third solo after "Sympathy for the Devil" and "Johnny B. Good".
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.