4Track All-Stars w Chris Garges

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

4Track All-Stars w Chris Garges

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun May 15, 2022 5:44 pm

I met Chris through this forum back in the 2000s. As any of you who knew him know, he was a great drummer, a great engineer, and a wonderful human being. He played and captured the drums on tracks 2, 4, and 5 of this EP. As always his performances were excellent and the tracks sounded so good that they pretty much mixed themselves. And, of course, he added a little easter egg for me: yelling “Jay Reynolds rules!” when he got to the door of the tracking room in the take on one of the songs. I didn’t catch it right away since it was under the song’s outro, and then I spent a couple minutes trying to figure out what was going on. I had to solo the drum bus to find it. Classic Garges move.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy listening to these songs and hearing Chris doing what he was so great at. Thanks.

https://4trackall-stars.hearnow.com/678
Prog out with your cog out.

mjau
speech impediment

Re: 4Track All-Stars w Chris Garges

Post by mjau » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:04 am

And, of course, he added a little easter egg for me: yelling “Jay Reynolds rules!” when he got to the door of the tracking room in the take on one of the songs. I didn’t catch it right away since it was under the song’s outro, and then I spent a couple minutes trying to figure out what was going on. I had to solo the drum bus to find it. Classic Garges move.
I love that! Chris did some drum tracking on a handful of things with me, too, and he must've walked by his piano on his way back into the control room after a take and ended up playing this funny and quick little piano thing that I similarly had to solo the drum buss to track down. I loved it.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:23 pm

mjau wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:04 am

I love that! Chris did some drum tracking on a handful of things with me, too, and he must've walked by his piano on his way back into the control room after a take and ended up playing this funny and quick little piano thing that I similarly had to solo the drum buss to track down. I loved it.
That's awesome :D Chris was the best.

Here's another one: Chris recommended a mastering engineer to me who I ended up going with. He said "great, and if you don't mind and no big deal if you don't, can you tell them that one of the songs in the project is 'Tubthumping' by Chumbawumba." Apparently Chris had created a demo for a corporate band he was gigging with and had to send "Tubthumping" back to that ME a few times because of personnel changes or something. Like the ME had already joked around with Chris about being sick of that song, so of course Chris wanted me to help him turn it into a prank. I couldn't help but play along.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:46 am

.....and the ME in question was ME. It was a good ruse!

This record is terrific and you all should listen to it! Had a great time working on this.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:16 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:46 am
.....and the ME in question was ME. It was a good ruse!

This record is terrific and you all should listen to it! Had a great time working on this.
A lot of the reason it sounds the way it does is your excellent work. Thanks again :)

And obv having well recorded live drums doesn’t hurt. <3