Great records with drums low in the mix?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Great records with drums low in the mix?

Post by Jitters » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:16 am

I know this is really vague, but I'm looking for a little inspiration/reassurance for my current project.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: Great records with drums low in the mix?

Post by digitaldrummer » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:52 am

by today's standard, probably almost anything recorded before 1965 had the drums low in the mix... but a lot of the more recent indie-folk stuff has the drums a bit lower too (I heard something last night but can't remember what it was now - but I noticed the levels). Anything where the vocal is the most important point of the song doesn't need the drums slamming over it (and I say that as a drummer...).
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:52 pm

Thanks, I'll look up some Indie folk playlists and see what I come across.

I thought about this gem, R.E.M.'s swansong. Like the ghost of Bill Berry, and my god, how adorable is Kirsten Dunst?
https://youtu.be/kpwd1YLgDaM

Like you said that one is all about the vocal. It doesn't validate what I'm up against, but at least now I'm preoccupied with thoughts about riding an elephant on the beach, so there's that, I suppose...

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:25 am

and that used to be true for country music too, but in the last 10 years (or probably longer) country music drums are now just 1980's hair-band metal drums, and then 1990's drum style (guess what's coming next?). but anyway, classic country has the drums a bit lower sometimes.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Antler23
pluggin' in mics

Post by Antler23 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:18 am

I've always loved how weirdly low the drums are on "Got To Get You Into My Life" from Revolver. That song had nothing but a bizarre journey overall, with the "Huh??? Seriously" early take heard on Anthology and now the new versions available on the Giles mix, loaded with "Paperback Writer" guitars...
But those quiet drums... an odd choice!

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:00 pm

That's a good call, and it's odd how many times I've listened to that song without noticing until you pointed it out.

Randyman...
takin' a dinner break

Post by Randyman... » Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:41 pm

Probably a different direction that you are looking for. Seal's "Kiss From A Rose" seems to have the drums tucked back nicely, but still allows them to have a little punch. I always think they are too low in the mix and even a bit "soft", but always wonder how they still punch a little (soft and punchy - how does that happen? :P )...
Randy V.
Audio-Dude / Musician / PC Guru / Crazy Guy

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:24 pm

That's another good call. I like how the kick starts out impactful, and then gets pulled back (or masked, I'm not listening on the greatest system at the moment) and also when the drums cut out completely. It would be hard not to bring the snare up a bit though haha!