speakers for laptop? budget = £200-ish

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

speakers for laptop? budget = £200-ish

Post by bobbydj » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:46 am

Eh up every1

I'm after some speakers to listen to mp3s on - all the gubbins on me laptop, basically. I do love listening to music on some £50 in-ear jobs - they're always flattering to poor quality sound files, lo-fi indie pop/rock type of music (which is healthy portion of what I listen to). But how about some actual speakers like we used to have when we played LPs and 45s. Could be interesting.

I'm looking at the stuff listed here, and thinking it's all a bit dear (?). I'll readily admit to being out of touch though - perhaps these speakers are cheap. I suppose it's all relative.

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/hi-f ... akers.html

NB - I don't mind running cables, and in fact, I think I would prefer that to a posher, wireless sort of solution. I dunno. I'm a bit ambivalent on that score and could be persuaded either way. Cheers guys.

edited to insert unrelated image:

Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: speakers for laptop? budget = £200-ish

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:06 am

probably depends on what you have connected to the laptop. Are you going straight out of the headphone jack or do you have some kind of audio interface? headphone jack won't get you the best sound, so some kind of D/A converter (DAC) will help. Most likely going to be USB connected, but you didn't say what kind of laptop it is. From there, it's whatever sounds good to you. if you are only listening to music and not doing critical mixes, etc. then really, get whatever sounds good to you. if you can buy from a place you can actually listen to them (or at least take them back if you don't like them) then do that.

I bought an NAD receiver and some Mirage speakers probably 35 years ago now. I walked into a high end stereo shop (there used to be such a thing) and my jaw hit the floor when I heard the music (I think it was Joe Satriani) playing through this particular system. I think I may have had to get the "little brother" to that system (due to the cost), but I've had it all this time and it still sounds great to me (and I have other studio monitors for critical listening). Then again, when I'm feeling lazy (which is a lot of the time) I grab my smartphone and pull up music and play it on my Sonos system (Sonos is way overpriced but it works pretty well and sounds OK) because it's so convenient.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:56 am

digitaldrummer wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:06 am
probably depends on what you have connected to the laptop. Are you going straight out of the headphone jack or do you have some kind of audio interface? headphone jack won't get you the best sound, so some kind of D/A converter (DAC) will help. Most likely going to be USB connected, but you didn't say what kind of laptop it is. From there, it's whatever sounds good to you. if you are only listening to music and not doing critical mixes, etc. then really, get whatever sounds good to you. if you can buy from a place you can actually listen to them (or at least take them back if you don't like them) then do that.

I bought an NAD receiver and some Mirage speakers probably 35 years ago now. I walked into a high end stereo shop (there used to be such a thing) and my jaw hit the floor when I heard the music (I think it was Joe Satriani) playing through this particular system. I think I may have had to get the "little brother" to that system (due to the cost), but I've had it all this time and it still sounds great to me (and I have other studio monitors for critical listening). Then again, when I'm feeling lazy (which is a lot of the time) I grab my smartphone and pull up music and play it on my Sonos system (Sonos is way overpriced but it works pretty well and sounds OK) because it's so convenient.
Thanks for the reply - it's very useful. As things stand atm I just line out from the 1/8" w/ in-ear doobries.

I have a Creek 4040 doing nothing, and some little KEFs that I like (but which, strictly speaking, are a bit crap) - I need to plumb that crap in. One thing that pisses me off about the 4040 is the absolutely stupid connectors that amp needs. I think they may be Creek's own. In any case, you basically have to make your own cables up, with the Creek proprietaries on one end and bananas on t'other. More of a pita than I can be bothered with these days. Then again, the rep of the 4040 used to be pretty high so I suppose I should at least waken it from its decades slumbers, if only to see if it still works.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:52 pm

I have a few different stereos and computer-linked monitoring systems 'round here.

I have two of one set-up for computer playback because it's inexpensive and sounds good:

I have a cuppla MAudio MTrack (Plus, because it's inexpensive, fairly small, two-way, fairly flexible and sounds good) being used each as a USB soundcard; I think the current model is the M-Track Duo.

I have one set-up in my office, and one at my computer table in the living area.

Besides headphones, I have a pair of Edifier 4" powered speakers (1280T, 21w.) hooked up to each MTrack. They sound a little more hyped than actual monitors, have bass and treble controls, optical and RCA ins, are relatively compact and look good.

The models of both products change from year to year, some of the Edifiers have Bluetooth (which I refuse to use for audio) but the less expensive ones don't. I think each set-up cost me around US$150, mebbe a little less ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Thu Jun 15, 2023 12:37 am

Thanks for mentioning Edifier stuff - I'll have a close look at their range.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:38 am

I'm currently in the process of "auditioning" a few pairs of speakers and will update with info soon.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer