A Soundtrack - Cassette 8 Tracking - 488 and 238.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

A Soundtrack - Cassette 8 Tracking - 488 and 238.

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:57 am

I've talked on and off about this for a few years now. My band (FemBots) have been writing and recording music for a CBC short TV series called Farm Crime for about 5 years now. The third season is about to launch and to commemorate it we've put together a soundtrack album featuring some of our favorite pieces. All of these were tracked on cassette 8 track and then dumped to pro tools for mixing and editing. We started out on a 488 and then graduated to a 238 somewhere in season two. I think we also used a Vestax 6 track for a few of these but my memory is fuzzy.

https://fembotsband.bandcamp.com/album/ ... nal-series

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Re: A Soundtrack - Cassette 8 Tracking - 488 and 238.

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:58 pm

sounds great! do you notice any difference between the 488 and 238? or were they pretty close sonically?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Re: A Soundtrack - Cassette 8 Tracking - 488 and 238.

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:58 pm

I don't find them very different at all. That said, I was bypassing as much of the onboard mixer electronics as possible on the 488. The 238 takes all that stuff out of the equation right off the bat so the workflow is much easier. I don't think the tape section itself sounds any different