FS: Alice spec microphones

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

markmazoo
audio school graduate

Post by markmazoo » Sun May 31, 2009 6:22 pm

Over the past couple of months I made 3 Alice spec mics. They are by-the-book Alice mics as seen here: http://www.scotthelmke.com/alice-mic.html
Scoddidly's site is great and I really appreciate his ingenuity and making his knowledge and mic plan available to us. This is an excellent DIY project if you are interested in making a mic for friends or your basement (in my case) studio. These three mics all sound and look great! I am very satisfied with the results. Two have sold and I'm holding onto the third for right now. Once I started, I have just gotten carried away with the fun and learning experience of building these.

I have some more parts on order to make a few more Alice spec mics to sell. I also ordered some extra resistors, transistors, capacitors, diodes and FETs; plus a few different types of capsules (Panasonic & Transound) to experiment with.

Here are a few photos of a couple of Mark-made Alices:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/images55555/?saved=1

Here's an mp3 to listen to:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=87da ... f6e8ebb871

Please email me with questions. I have some more photos and mp3s available if you are interested in seeing/hearing more. Email = markmazoo2 AT yahoo DOT com.
Last edited by markmazoo on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markmazoo
audio school graduate

FS: Alice -like microphone

Post by markmazoo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Bump

Here are a couple of photos.

Links to other photos and an mp3 are in a previous post.

Hope this makes it easier for y'all to get a better picture of the quality of the workmanship on the mics.
Last edited by markmazoo on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

markmazoo
audio school graduate

Post by markmazoo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:50 am

Have mercy! Someone must be interested.
Please, let's hear some of your comments.

Total price decreased to $135.
And I'll pay shipping in continental USA.
These are good mics and they are brand new.
I'll even carefully package them up in bubble wrap.
Someone must like recording the sound of those bubbles popping.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Say folks, just to clarify a bit.

When Mark says Alice-like mic, he doesn't mean it's only a similar design. He just didn't want to call it a straight up Alice because his weren't made by Scott's hands himself. Mark has assured me that he followed the scriptures to the letter to create these Alice mics offered here.

(I now have one on the way. Have wanted one for awhile and now have the acousic guitar to use it with. Yeah!)

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:37 pm

llmonty wrote: .. the combination of a hamptone Jfet and Blue dragonfly or Alice(s) was just AWESOME. The jfet can get really dirty, but in the 6:00-9:00 positions I found it really clean with plenty of gain. and FAST. and really really huge sounding. got great shaker, tambo, bells, bowls guiro, bottle. Have also recorded acoustic guitar with it and it was the best ever. I think it would be just what you might want, and is versatile enough to use where you want more color in other applications (like vocals).
This post just made my day! (I built a Hamptone JFET kit)

Here's the rest of the thread..

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... 594#554594

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:54 pm

Mark, great fast shipping, sounds clear and strong, beautifully assembled. Awesome.THanks!

Mike

markmazoo
audio school graduate

Post by markmazoo » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:39 pm

Thank you Mike! And I appreciate your off-board constructive comments about the packaging and countersinking the XLR mounting screws a little bit more. Enjoy.

markmazoo
audio school graduate

Post by markmazoo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:30 pm

Both mics sold. Thanks!