WTB: Sytek MPX4AII

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

watergunfight
gimme a little kick & snare

WTB: Sytek MPX4AII

Post by watergunfight » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:08 pm

anyone wanting to unload one? ill pay for it and perhaps we can work out a deal for my ART TPS.. because I'm sure anyone selling a sytek is looking for an ART TPS.... I'll let that go for a very small amount taken off the price of the MPX, or we can forget that. Either way, I want an MPX

gdizzle
audio school graduate

Post by gdizzle » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:19 pm

you know you can get these direct from the maker. or the eBay. Dude in chicago is very nice.

watergunfight

Post by watergunfight » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:41 am

I want one used, I don't gots the cash to buy one of these things new :cry:

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:00 pm

You'll probably only save just a little bit (considering how few of these are resold).

Just buy one and support the company already.

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:53 pm

kayagum wrote:You'll probably only save just a little bit (considering how few of these are resold).

For real...

T-rex
resurrected

Post by T-rex » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:13 am

dude, Joel just sold his fairly cheap, I hope you scored it. . .
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:26 am

Actually there were 2 up here recently fairly inexpensively. One with JFet channels 3-4 i think for 700? and one with burr brown 3-4 for 650.
I thought about going that way but I called up mike at sytek and he gave me a good deal on a demo model with a full warranty from the date of purchase.

watergunfight

Post by watergunfight » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:53 pm

I saw those two, unfortunately I was a week too late. Where you at UnlikeKurt? New Jersey represent
kayagum wrote:You'll probably only save just a little bit (considering how few of these are resold).

These things go for 9 new, if I could find one used for 7 and save $200, that is more than a little bit of money to me.

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Don't make me go into the "American cheapskate rant"....I'm not kidding.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:55 pm

kayagum wrote:Don't make me go into the "American cheapskate rant"....I'm not kidding.
huh? watergunfight wants to save $200, nothing wrong with that. I got my api 3124+ for $200 cheaper due to it being open box/demo unit, i'm hardly a cheapskate, just a dude who doesn't get paid a lot at his day job and who lives in an expensive city... for reals. I tip 20% everytime.

they go used for 650-700, nothing "cheapskate" with holding out til one comes along.

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 pm

kayagum wrote:Don't make me go into the "American cheapskate rant"....I'm not kidding.
Isn't the whole point of this section in the forum for people to save money on used gear? (I realize people also use it to sell old stuff that's not made anymore, but it seems like I see 20 RNCs for every Fairchild or similar hard to get compressor posted.) Isn't one of the major principles behind Tape Op in general to be able to make a good record with limited resources? Buying used gear is recycling, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:31 pm

I bought my MPX-4Aii used for $600 right here on the TOMB. I even waited three weeks to pick it up in NYC so I wouldn't have to pay to have it shipped. I was unemployed at the time, too. Anyone want to tell me where to stick it?

I'm all about supporting the little guy, but sometimes one is on a budget. I am assuming that anyone on here that is harping on the original poster never bought anything used from that was made by a small company before?

I'll tell you what. 70% of my gear is used. I buy almost everything off of the TOMB or ebay these days and have since 2001. What's the problem with this?

C'mon, cut the guy a break.

And no, mine is not for sale.

Jeff

PS: And like Trodden, I also tip 20% all of the time.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

watergunfight

Post by watergunfight » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:37 pm

I would love to hear this rant.. I am not kidding either

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:00 pm

give me a fucking break.

one of the reasons mike sells as many preamps as he does is because folks know that there is solid demand on the used market for them. that is precisely why i bought one new, because i knew if it came time to sell it (which i just did to a fellow tapeopper), i could easily get close to what i paid for it.

the resale value and demand (mine sold in like a day and a half) insures mike will continue to see success with his amps.

what could possibly be wrong with that? you should be kidding.

sheesh...

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:10 pm

I'm heading out of internet range for the weekend, but here's the short rant (and I'm only writing this because watergunfight was at least curious of what I'd say....)

... everybody wants everything cheap, good and fast (the "American" way). Pick any two.

Everybody wants the latest whiz bang stuff, but they're not willing to support it with their pocketbooks. Anyone can buy whatever they want in a free market- new, used, stolen, whatever, and that's fine.

... and then they wonder why the only "affordable" stuff is corporate crap. And why the good stuff is expensive.

If enough people stopped buying the mass produced stuff and bought well designed, well built stuff from sole proprietors and small companies, I think we would see more quality products at a lower price.

Yes, I've bought my share of used equipment. But I've also bought plenty of new gear because I believe in, I benefit from, and I support R&D. I don't have the multiple $K equipment (my gigs don't really need that level of gear), but I am a proud owner of many quality brands like FMR Audio, oktavamod.com mics, ZVex effects, Jerry Jones guitars, to name a few. Beyond music gear, voting with your pocketbook is more powerful than voting in a polling booth.

I'm probably out of line hijacking this thread. I guess what bummed me out that $200 was enough of an economic incentive to not support Sytek. People in general, and particularly people on this board, should support companies like Sytek. Or Sage. Or any small company that makes good gear. You'll get better equipment, your karma will be better, and you'll ensure better health of the industry in general.

You know, I actually hope watergunfight finds a used Sytek. I just wanted to point out buying gear could be more than just getting the best deal. You have the opportunity to make an investment beyond yourself.