Is this worth buying?

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Is this worth buying?

Post by vivalastblues » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:41 am

apologies if this is the wrong forum for this thread, i wasn't exactly sure where to post it. please move it if necessary.

someone here is selling this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RACK-MOUNT-SPRIN ... 240%3A1318

i just want to know if it's worth buying and if it's an easy fix? (something i could do myself for little cost)

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

is it worth it?

Post by supafuzz » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:32 am

Only if you know how to repair it..otherwise it's nothing special and there's a lot of other low cost spring reverbs out there.
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:20 am

Yeah, postage to states is $57...I'm sure you can find something similar that's not broken for $100 if you are patient.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:02 pm

Don't buy broken gear if you can help it, especially not from another country.
You can find spring 'verbs if you look hard. I found an old mono DOD spring reverb and later a Intersound one for $85 from my local LA Craigslist. Take your time and look a little harder.

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:18 pm

I didnt end up buying it

but I have found that here it seems difficult to find any sort of reverb unit that isn't digital.

valverec
gettin' sounds

Post by valverec » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:09 am

I think spring reverbs are generally pretty over rated. My experience with them is that they sound like ass. Reverb is obviously something that's tough to duplicate. Outside of having a great space with natural reverb, or a plate, there's really not much out there in terms of analog reverb. You're better off spending your money on a decent digital reverb. There are reverbs like Altiverb that sample real spaces, and that may be your best bet. I just think spring reverbs tend to sound more like one off effect reverbs most of the time. There may be a couple spring reverbs that are just amazing, but I'm guessing they also would cost a fortune, and they're still going to be very limited in their sound.

Another option if you have the space is to build a 10x8x6 (very roughly, you'd have to research it) room with non parallel sides and ceiling out of drywall. That's probably too extreme for you, but if you design it right, you can get a crazy amount of reverb out of a chamber like that.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:45 pm

To each his/her own, but I prefer my Orban 111B Spring unit to pretty much every plugin or outboard digital verb I've used for most applications. I would also love to have a big plate and a chamber one day, but that's another story.

Just sayin' :)
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

tommy
steve albini likes it

Post by tommy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:12 pm

Not all spring reverbs are created equal too by the way. I've used furman, orban, peavey, sound workshops, demeter and the akg bx-10 and bx-20. They all sound different but all very useful if you like spring reverbs. The akgs are by far the most lush sounding. Almost plate like. Then the next would be the demeter which is really great sounding too. The orban and furman are a bit boingier but still cool sounding.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:35 pm

I use my MicMix spring reverb all the time. It's not perfect for everything, but I haven't run into what it's not perfect for lately. I keep thinking "Oh, this isn't really what I want," then trying my digital reverbs, and then saying, "no, the spring's what I want right now." Granted, my digital reverbs are pretty low-rent, but still...

EDIT: Oh, and somebody please tell me that the OP didn't have his location posted as Australia when he started this thread! :lol:
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

vivalastblues
steve albini likes it

Post by vivalastblues » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:40 pm

i didnt. :)