Yamaha PM1000 modules, Casio Sk1, 50's deco equip racks more

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Yamaha PM1000 modules, Casio Sk1, 50's deco equip racks more

Post by buddy holly » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:15 pm

UPDATED LIST as of 3/21/06:

Casio SK1--magical 80's sampling keyboard. missing battery cover but works and is in good shape. $35 (SOLD)

Yamaha PM1000 input modules (see below). working and in decent cosmetic shape. $80 shipped each (can chop and wire them up or recap for extra:

chop and wire for rackmounting--$50
complete rack job--$100 and up + parts depending on features (expect a long turnaround time)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/e ... 19_IMG.jpg

Yamaha PM1000 input transformers (2) . $20 each

Bogan Mic mixer. great shape and working. use as is or for project. $30

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/e ... 24_IMG.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/e ... 22_IMG.jpg

1965 Shelbyville, Tn 5 x 14" Slingerland Aqua Blue Sparkle Snare. Sounds awesome. Chrome is great, but wrap has crackling/crazing. $175

Steel equipment racks (from a local radio station?) made for 19" rack mount gear. one is army green and 6 RU, the other is Hammered Black and is 5 RU. both have an opening in the back and a hinged lid on top and vented sides. both measure ~14 1/2" deep. pics available. they are on the heavy side but are really cool looking and perfect for adding a few more pieces to the setup. make offer. (thinking around $30)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/e ... 24_IMG.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/e ... 27_IMG.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f93/e ... 26_IMG.jpg

Preference given to those who can pay right away with paypal (i need cashish for some bills).

more to come...

--BH

--

Hey. i hate to do this but i am in a serious financial crunch. I have decided to part out one of my pm1000's and restore only its companion. i am selling 8 modules out of one of my pm1000 consoles. These are all in functional condition but may have contacts or pots that need to be exercised/cleaned.

I need to give preference to those who can pay right away, but i have more modules, and may sell those as well later in case you are in a similar boat and can't buy right now.

Thanks in advance.

--BH
Last edited by buddy holly on Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:08 am, edited 9 times in total.

JdJ
pushin' record

Post by JdJ » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:01 am

Sent you a PM

--Josh

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:24 pm

How difficult/expensive is it to rack these up?

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:58 pm

in case anyone's considering this.. i've bought stuff from the seller on more than one occasion and have been totally happy with it. he's a good fella. if i had the $$$ i'd go for some of these modules as well..

-d

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:08 pm

After doing some reading, I can kind of see the amount of work involved with racking these modules up. I'd actually probably want to put them in a lunchbox, but only found a couple references to people doing that with them. Would that be significantly easier to do? I'm very interested, but also have limited electronics tinkering experience.

-Bret

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Post by buddy holly » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:02 pm

Thanks so much D! how's my marlboro amp doing?

bret, as far as getting into this kind of stuff goes, racking a pm1k module is one of the easiest first projects. the hardest part is compiling and digesting all the information available about these and getting the courage up to dive in.

as far as putting them in a lunch box i am not sure. i'm sure you could do it, but you would definitely have to ditch the module frame, faceplate and some of the extra pots and figure out a way to mount the PCB in the lunchbox.

how expensive? you basically need some wire, xlr in/out, a psu, a chassis, maybe a power switch/light, fuse, cable. somewhere between $0 and $100 depending on what you have lying around, what you can find used, what you can live without, etc. chassis (parmetal~$55 new) and PSU (Power One ~$45 new) are the most expensive parts, but there are ways around buying new and preassembled.

--BH

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:10 pm

my entire PM1k project cost about $150, including the modules (of course, they have gone up in value since then)

as far as DIY goes - especially for something this nice sounding - this is a cheap project, especially if you skip the output transformers (mine is only sending signal about 18 inches, so it was not a necessity)

and buddy, the wurly needs some serious love still :(
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:41 pm

buddy holly wrote:Thanks so much D! how's my marlboro amp doing?

bret, as far as getting into this kind of stuff goes, racking a pm1k module is one of the easiest first projects. the hardest part is compiling and digesting all the information available about these and getting the courage up to dive in.

as far as putting them in a lunch box i am not sure. i'm sure you could do it, but you would definitely have to ditch the module frame, faceplate and some of the extra pots and figure out a way to mount the PCB in the lunchbox.

how expensive? you basically need some wire, xlr in/out, a psu, a chassis, maybe a power switch/light, fuse, cable. somewhere between $0 and $100 depending on what you have lying around, what you can find used, what you can live without, etc. chassis (parmetal~$55 new) and PSU (Power One ~$45 new) are the most expensive parts, but there are ways around buying new and preassembled.

--BH
Wow, thanks for the information!

I think the lunchbox scenario I read about was one where a guy built a wooden box to mount the channel strips in unaltered, so they still had the fader, etc. That interested me, just so I could keep the channel strip intact and also seemed to involve less butchering of the modules. Although I suppose resale value might actually be better if it were already racked, assuming I ever resold it/them.

I really want to buy two, but I fear that might be biting off more than I can chew (financially and time-wise), so I might stick with one. Hopefully you'll still have some left by the time I decide. You definitely have my DIY curiosity piqued.

Thanks!

-Bret

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Post by buddy holly » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:22 am

thanks for all the response. i'll be out of town till sunday night so i may not be able to respond.

thanks again.

tim, its time to part that baby out!

--BH

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:56 am

buddy holly wrote:Thanks so much D! how's my marlboro amp doing?
man, i never get tired of that tremelo. it's great. fun amp.

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

i'm back

Post by buddy holly » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:40 pm

ok, I'm back. still 6 left. i will probably rack up any leftover modules and sell them complete in case anyone is interested. also, i'll try to get pics out tonight.

--BH

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:14 pm

Let me know how much you'll want for the racked up modules. I decided that I just don't have the time to take on a project like that on my own. Thanks!

-Bret

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:46 pm

So sad,

Oh well. At least you have a whole 'nother board. More than most folks. Hey BH, have you seen that thread on gearslutz where there's several folks ragging on the PM1000?

It's just outrageous. I don't really care. Either people are going to decide in the end that PM1000's aren't really the shit everyone says they are, and then I can get extra modules for cheap, or we'll eventually see REAL madness and then my super modded board will be worth big bucks.

But I'm at the point where I don't really care what anyone says about anything. I love this board and will never ever ever ever get rid of it.

Buy those modules ladies and gentlemen! You won't regret it.

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Post by buddy holly » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:22 pm

jonk,

didn't see that thread. that's funny. don't worry, i have another 16 ch board plus extra modules to tide me over. i'm planning on hot-rodding the remaining board.

i agree with you. these things should be worth waaaaay more than their going rate, which is why i have been fending off complaints from my wife for so long about the fact that there are 3 obnoxiously big consoles filling up our house.

-BH

buddy holly
takin' a dinner break

Post by buddy holly » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:31 pm

workshed wrote:Let me know how much you'll want for the racked up modules. I decided that I just don't have the time to take on a project like that on my own. Thanks!

-Bret
hey. well i wasn't planning on starting a business out of this! i had numerous questions regarding this, so here is my response to another poster:

hey,

i'm thinking that i would charge $280 for a completely racked single channel, and $410 for 2 channels, including the modules. here is how i broke it down for a single channel:

module: $85
chassis: $55 (ParMetal)
PSU: $55 (PowerOne)
Misc: $35 (XLR Jacks, Fuse, Diodes, switches, pilot light, wire, etc...)
Labor: $50

this would be basic, no frills, all new components (besides the modules of course). you could make it more expensive by adding features, recapping, adding output tranny, etc. you could make it cheaper by doing the metalwork yourself, finding used chassis or psu. i could just do the electrical stuff for $50 and then you could do the rest yourself.

the price for the dual channel reflects an extra module, bigger psu and chassis, extra work involved.

i'll probably order parts on wednesday, so i can give you part #'s then. if you wanted me to rack your modules i could order your parts then as well.

just let me know what you think.

PS: I'm not a professional, just a hobbyist who has done this particular project. i would not be the right person to ask about modding the circuit or adding anything too crazy to the job. but, i can do the basic job, which sounds great. I'mm not interested in doing this long term, so once these modules are gone i'm retired!

--BH
--