FS: Tascam 388

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

earl parameter
buyin' gear

FS: Tascam 388

Post by earl parameter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:34 am

not my auction. just noticed this and know there people looking for one

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/309781165.html

Greg Nagy
gettin' sounds

Re: FS: Tascam 388

Post by Greg Nagy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:32 am

crashsick wrote:not my auction. just noticed this and know there people looking for one

http://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/309781165.html
Man, if that is in good shape...that is a great price.

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:35 am

yeah if anyone is looking for one they should get in touch fast. as for photos though.

steven

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:51 am

I'm in Nashville and emailed the guy this morning. I've been looking for one for about a month so if he calls or emails I'm pouncing like a snow leopard. Just waiting for him to reply....

Patience Luke, let the object of your desire come to you. -- Obi Wan

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:18 pm

sorry i posted this then i hope it doesn't get bought out from under you.

steven

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:25 pm

Hey no sweat if it does. I've become quite Zen about all this gear acquisition stuff lately. One of these or something better will come to me eventually. And if I have to fork over a bunch of dough for it...well so be it. I'm not rich but I'm not poor either so if I have to work a little harder to get something that I want then that's what I have to do.

It would be so sweet though if this turns out to be a solid machine at this price. But I don't believe anything until its real and proven. I'm not getting excited about this until its a done deal.

TapeOp is the awesomest place in all of the internets!!! Just don't tell anybody. :wink:

Greg Nagy
gettin' sounds

Post by Greg Nagy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 pm

joelmoore wrote:Hey no sweat if it does. I've become quite Zen about all this gear acquisition stuff lately. One of these or something better will come to me eventually. And if I have to fork over a bunch of dough for it...well so be it. I'm not rich but I'm not poor either so if I have to work a little harder to get something that I want then that's what I have to do.

It would be so sweet though if this turns out to be a solid machine at this price. But I don't believe anything until its real and proven. I'm not getting excited about this until its a done deal.

TapeOp is the awesomest place in all of the internets!!! Just don't tell anybody. :wink:
I picked one up in Wisconsin (while on a road trip for a gig). Paid 550 for it.
Mint condition and I love it! I am sending positive vibes your way...

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:57 am

I am sending positive vibes your way...
Thanks Greg...

The guy emailed me back this morning saying that he had somebody interested that was supposed to come by tomorrow to buy it but if it falls through he'll call me.

We'll see how it goes I suppose...

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:10 pm

I've decided that craiglist is the place to find these cheap. I bought one 30 miles from where I live for $250 and it looks museum new. One of the mic inputs does not work, but the everything is so clean it blows my mind. This thing is a ton of fun, and as soon as my new reels come in the mail I'm not going to see sunlight for a few weeks (I'm working on 2 albums).

Greg Nagy
gettin' sounds

Post by Greg Nagy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:21 am

joelmoore wrote:
I am sending positive vibes your way...
Thanks Greg...

The guy emailed me back this morning saying that he had somebody interested that was supposed to come by tomorrow to buy it but if it falls through he'll call me.

We'll see how it goes I suppose...
If not this one, another will come along I am sure...I waited a good six months.

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:17 am

So I emailed the guy a few days ago saying something to the effect that "I guess it's safe to assume that this is no longer available since I haven't heard back from you right?" and still no reply for about a week I guess. So then I assumed that it was a done deal. Somebody else beat me to the punch on this one. Ok no big deal I'll try again on the next go round.

So of course I spent what money I had set aside for this on a few other needed items in the studio when suddenly BOOM! The guy emails me last night saying "hey can you come get this on Wednesday?" Can you say dilemma? Crap! So now I've spent the morning feverishly trying to rob Peter to buy a 388. And I think I got it worked out so I'm sort of not so worried about that anymore.

What I am a little concerned about is that the condition of unit has never been mentioned. I did ask about that in this last email. I'm waiting to hear back from him though I get the feeling he doesn't really check his mail very often. So it may be a while before I get a response.

My question to you guys is this. Being that I'm unfamiliar with this unit I'm wondering if there are any common faults specific to this machine that I should look for on Wednesday. Is there a good uniform way to test this thing relatively quickly but thoroughly before I put money out, get it home and find out the hard way why the first guy didn't follow through on the sale?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. As always What Would TapeOp Do? (WWTOD). 8)

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:59 am

well i don't have a 388, i do have 38 though and i've bought my share of second hand mixers. one was a tascam 35 which is sort of close to what you'll find in the 388 so you have to take this all with a grain of salt especially since its all sitting in boxes at the moment

first things would be to get it plugged in and turned on and pull up on the tape guide's, or load a tape and listen for the motor to spin up if it isn't already (i forget if the capstan is always spinning or just when tape is loaded). it shouldn't be that loud but should be audible, you should see the capstan spin, and then press play, rewind and forward to see if they function (they will only work if you lift the guides or load a tape). obviously the reel hubs should spin accordingly. listen for any horrendous noises or grinding as these would be bad things but if its just a little scraping from reels on the outside of the machine or something it should be fixable. if you do here the motor spin up when lifting the guides but hitting play, rewind and FF don't do anything it should just be a bad belt which is about $20 and an hour of removing panels so you can replace it (well it is on the 38, but it maybe different on the 388) check to make sure lights light up as you would expect but burnt out bulbs are not an indication of trouble and easily replaced or ignored. if you get the chance to play music through it (maybe bring a battery powered cd player, cable for it with 1/4" adaptor and some headphones with a 1/4" adaptor) then watch for meters to move and make sure you get audio through each channel of the mixer. check the trim/gain pot to make sure the preamps work and the faders for the same. but remember that its new to you and you might just not be familiar with the routing to get audio to run out of the correct bus or main, a little more time playing around with it could get it too work, and don't rely on the owner to know. they could be a total moron or someone's dad or the guy that stole it from someone else and not have any idea how it actually works.

that should be a good start short of being able to actually run tape through it and recording something which would be ideal. if you can get a manual and any alignments tapes or other reels that would save you a lot of money. obviously grab any extra's you can like splicing blocks, splicing tape, cleaners etc...

oh and don't forget to check the heads for wear! they should have a semi round face and not a big flat spot where the tape runs over them. but a bit of flat is typical. expect it to have a lot brown crap all over the heads and guides, its buildup from old tape. if the head is all brown don't be afraid to get a few drops of water on your figure and rub it off or even spit if you have to. it won't hurt anything and you can clean it off when you get home which you should do anyway using denatured alcohol found in the paint section of any store. not isopropyl regardless or what anyone says. its cheap anyway and safe on plastics. isopropyl is not

i'm sure i'm forgetting something but that should be a good start.

joelmoore
pushin' record

Post by joelmoore » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:19 pm

Awesome advise crashsick. That makes me much more comfortable with plunking down the green on something I've never seen in action.

Thanks!!! :!:

earl parameter
buyin' gear

Post by earl parameter » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:27 pm

no problem just make sure you take a sec and learn how to maintain it and it should treat you well.

best of luck

steven

OneZero
takin' a dinner break

Post by OneZero » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:14 pm

For those on the west coast there is one in the SF north bay that I am trying to sell.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=44101
I have some really horrible gear!!!