FS:Fully Pimped Nady (w/Peluso U47 capsule)/Gretsch F. Tom

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

FS:Fully Pimped Nady (w/Peluso U47 capsule)/Gretsch F. Tom

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:01 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm selling my Nady TCM 1050 tube mic. Basically it has nothing to do with Nady other than the circuit board and the housing.
The list of mods include:
1. Peluso U47 (CEK47) capsule

2. Peluso BV8 transformer (U47 style tranny)

3. all resistors upgraded to Dale and Ohmite 1% metal film resistors

4. NOS GE 6072A tube

5. Black Gate cap for C6 (THis is the ONLY electrolytic in the mic and it's from the best company there is in that regard)

6. Auricap for C8. This is a very important cap. Different caps will really change the sound here. Auricaps are super high end, hi fi caps that cost a lot of money

7. All other caps were replaced with either Wima or panasonic film caps.

8. Several resistor value changes. R3 and R4 were changed from 270K ohms to 499K ohms. This gets the correct voltage to the Peluso's capsule. C4 is changed from a .001uF to a .01uF. This beefs up the low mids a bit. R10 has been changed from a 1KM ohm resistor to a 100M ohn resistor. (This was a big change, and made the mids sound a lot cooler. More punchy)

9. Diode changes in the power supply so that the voltage coming in on pin 1 is 158V. This is much better for both the capsule and the tube and results in a more vintagey, warmer, and smoother sound. This is a huge change.

10. Removal of C9 and C10 (filter caps that are unnecessary with a good transformer)

Basically, there is a guy named Dave Thomas in Canada that if you search here and on gearslutz or HHB for, started modding these Nadys and Apex's (same circuit) by replacing the capsule with a Peluso capsule, transformer with a cinemag, and putting in a ceramic cap for C8. Anyway, in the end you ended up spending about $700 and waiting a year and a half to get your mic back. Check the posts and see about the people pissed and confused about this.

So anyway, it was cool that he started doing this to these mics because it inspired a slew of people over at studio forums and the HHB home recording forums to keep going and mod the things even further. So if you want a mic that's already done, and for cheaper and will sound a hell of a lot better than Dave Thomas' version, and you don't want to wait for a year and a half, well here ya go.

It's really insane the amount of difference the diode modification and the change in C8 make to this mic. Just the difference between a relatively high quality Panasonic film and the Auricap was huge (at the same values) D.T. doesn't (last I'd heard) do anything to the voltage coming from the p.s. or put anywhere near as nice a cap as the auricap in C8. And then there's the various resistor changes too.

The only caveat here is that I was sent the wrong shockmount for the mic (I was sent the mount for the newer version of the 1050 which is a little smaller), so it fits, but you need an extra rubber band to keep it nice and sturdy. I'll include the rubberband I've been using which is from a broken soundelux mount. What would be cool is to thread the bottom of the mic, and put a real big nut on the bottom to fasten it, but anyway, the current shockmount w/ Soundelux rubberband works fine and if you want something else, then you can always buy an MXL or some sort of replacement.

Okay sorry for seven miles of explanation. The only reason I'm selling this mic is because I have another that I used a Peluso U67 style capsule in instead that I like a little better because I can get it closer to my mouth without the larger proximity effect that the U47 style capsule has, and I play guitar and sing at the same time a lot, so I feel it's important to be able to get it in pretty close.

For some rough sort of demoey sound clips you can hear it (the one I'm selling) here: www.myspace.com/januilleam The first and second song are 1 mic recordings of me singing and playing guitar at the same time, and then doubling or harmonizing a second vocal take w/ this mic. Again, demoey.

Here's some pics

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 007ko9.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 008eg8.jpg

http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 012lh0.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 013nl6.jpg

I want $600 for this mic (pretty much the cost of parts). It includes the Mic/cable/shockmount/Power Supply/the briefcase/and I'll give you the Peluso reciept for the capsule and transformer too.

Second item is a stop sign era Gretsch 16X16 floor tom. In great shape. Nicely round, brownish greenish color. All hardware appears original, and is in very nice shape. No rusting or pitting. Very well taken care of. Sounds awesome. I'm just realizing that I'm more of a 14" sort of floor tom guy. $240 for the FT. here's some pics

http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 181yv5.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 201wv8.jpg

http://img124.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 191ax2.jpg

And you'll need to add appropriate shipping for either item.

Drop me a pm or an email

Jon
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:15 am

Jon,

You want to do a lay away plan with me?

Serious, it's what the baby mice would have wanted.

I like the Williams Pelady-Naluso 47 an awful lot.

I finally got my pm1000/jensen rack.

Either way

Let's a/b soon man.

Andrew
Don't forget to breath.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 am

Possibly,

Let me wait a bit and see if someone else will fork over all the money at once.

By the way, you know that low end muddiness that was there when you heard it? That was a result of having too little voltage coming from the p.s. I finally got the right zener diodes in the power supply for the optimum voltage. So you should hear it now. Very nice.

Yeah, we should hook up sometime soon.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:59 am

Yeah bro, I remember it sounding great, so if it sounds better now, I may have to sell another kidney to give you one lump sum.
argh...

Next week is good for me if you want to a/b

A
Don't forget to breath.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:47 am

Andrew Nack wrote:Jon,

You want to do a lay away plan with me?

Serious, it's what the baby mice would have wanted.

I like the Williams Pelady-Naluso 47 an awful lot.

I finally got my pm1000/jensen rack.

Either way

Let's a/b soon man.

Andrew
man beat me to it..

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:37 am

man beat me to it..[/quote]

Well I can't give him all the cheese right now any way. So if you got the 6 hunny now I'm sure he'll gladly sell it to you.
Don't forget to breath.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:00 am

Andrew Nack wrote:man beat me to it..
Well I can't give him all the cheese right now any way. So if you got the 6 hunny now I'm sure he'll gladly sell it to you.[/quote]

na man, i was going to suggest the lay away plan as well!!!

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:11 am

Then we're both some broke ass mf's
Don't forget to breath.