FS: Oram Series 8 16ch recording console - British EQ BEQ

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

audioflyer
audio school

FS: Oram Series 8 16ch recording console - British EQ BEQ

Post by audioflyer » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:53 pm

This is a really nice Oram recording console from John Oram, designer of many of the Trident consoles. Its claim to fame is the "British EQ", very musical and smooth sounding.

This console is perfect for the modern DAW/Protools studio because:

* This console is IDEAL for tracking through, with the same Oram preamps as in the Octasonic, as well as 7 aux sends.

* Additionally, this console is terrific for mixing, with flexible mix routing and 16 channel inputs + 16 monitor inputs to mixdown.

Here is the original description from Sweetwater Sound back in 1997:

-- Next in the Oram line is the BEQ Series 8 with a list price starting at $15,395. It, too, features the superb Oram Sonics super low noise circuitry, Surface Mount Technology, 7 aux sends per channel with 5 FX returns, 100mm main faders and 60mm monitor faders, 72 inputs to mix bus with a 24 input configuration (NOTE: I am selling the 16 input version), two separate stereo mix outs with master faders and an external, "silent running" power supply, all standard.

A quote from EQ magazine (March 1996) probably sums up the Series 8 the best: "The Father of British EQ has just made the Mother of all Consoles." Guess they were impressed, eh? So much so, in fact, that the magazine awarded this console not one, but two blue ribbons for quality at a recent AES Show. The Series 8 also was a TEC Award nominee in 1996.

From experience we know that you can find other mixers that have more "bells and whistles," but almost none can compete with the unsurpassed Oram sound quality. Plus, with a BEQ console, you get a REAL mixing desk, not some table-top mixer that your clients will look at as something "less than professional." --

The console is in good cosmetic condition, with some minor blemishes. It is in proper working order, and the center section has been recently serviced by Oram in the UK. Included are spare parts and an extra power cable.

It is currently set up in my home studio where it can be auditioned. This is practically a one-of-a-kind item and a sure way to impress your clients! The only reason I am selling it is because I am going into the Air Force and don't want to lug it around. Please contact me with ANY questions. 615-796-8418 ask for Ryan.

Asking $4750, but will consider offers.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:43 am

Linus has that same console... it is pretty cool. i checked his out and played around with it. i'm sure he can chime in on it's sound and features some more.

cheers,
john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:58 am

I have a 24 channel BEQ 8. Mine is the first one made, shown at the AES the year of it's release, and owned by John Cale. Mine is also a brick red color instead of the production purple but is otherwise the same board.

I like it a lot. I think it sounds really good. It sounds thick and warm, not at all brittle. The EQ seems useful. It seems difficult to make things sound bad with the EQ.

Oram just serviced a couple of my channels. I had shipped them to Oram in the UK and they brought them back with them to the AES show, saving me shipping costs. That was a very cool thing to do on their part. They charged me a really nominal repair fee for the work. They also gave me a manual (which I didn't get with the board when I bought it). I'm really happy with them. John Oram answered the phone the last time I called there. I've had a good customer service experience.

When I finish the set of mixes I'm working on I'm going to pull the center section and ship it to them for service.

I think the board is really great and am SO HAPPY I have it. It has so much more character than a lot of the other stuff in the same price range. Definitely check this one out.

audioflyer
audio school

Post by audioflyer » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:05 am

linus,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, i have read some bad feelings about Oram being voiced on this and other forums, and I really don't know where it comes from. There were a few issues with the console when I bought it, but since getting those resolved I have had no problems whatsoever. Oram has been very helpful overall, and I had the opportunity to meet John Oram when he came to my school to speak a few years ago, and he seemed like a nice "gentleman" in the true Brit fashion, and a very intelligent engineer.

I agree that the sound of this console is great. I also own an Octasonic preamp, which I bought before the console, and the great sound is what led me to purchase the console. If I wasn't getting out of the business, there's no way I'd be letting it go.

audioflyer
audio school

Post by audioflyer » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:51 am

Console is sold!

Deisthomas
audio school

Re: FS: Oram Series 8 16ch recording console - British EQ BEQ

Post by Deisthomas » Mon May 28, 2018 9:47 am

Does anyone happen to have any service documents for the console? Manual? Service Schematic?
I have a BEQ series 8, 32 channel, I'm sure any number of channels would be fine!
Thanks so much!