FA: Vintage Sound Workshop 1280B console, super eq, *Relist*

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

u b k
audio school

FA: Vintage Sound Workshop 1280B console, super eq, *Relist*

Post by u b k » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:38 am

the zero feedback winning bidder flaked out (imagine my surprise!), which is actually a good thing because i don't think an analog board was what he needed at all. so here's a second chance at my little lovely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=014

from the ad:

Here she is, my sweet analog baby, and I'm letting her go. This is probably one of the most cherry representations of this desk you'll be able to find, it is in fantastic shape and sounds *amazing*. The ones without the Super EQ pop up now and then but specimens like this are rare; the last time I saw one in good shape with these eq's was over a year ago!

In a nutshell, the Sound Workshop 1280b is a 12 channel, 8 buss mixing desk with tone for days. It has 12 transformer-coupled preamps that are (in Lynn Fuston's words) "punchy" and tread a fine line between clear and hairy in a very rock 'n roll way. They overdrive wonderfully and can be used as saturators and distortion generators if you're so inclined. These will hold their own in a mix with API's and Neve's, and if your rack consists of Syteks or Presonus, you will end up selling them and tracking everything with these because they have such a great color and personality, and they stack wonderfully.

The first 8 channels have an incredible eq, and this is really the prizewinning aspect of this desk. 5 switchable freqs across 3 overlapping bands and a q that makes them extraordinary at cutting away what you don't want. Plugins simply cannot touch what these circuits can do, and if you don't have much experience with analog eq these will change the way you approach the art of mixing. The 12k shelf is a thing of beauty, it has an extremely shallow corner so it reaches all the way down to 3k or so, which means it'll lift and open up drum overheads, acoustic guitar, or anything that needs top, and it does so smoothly and sweetly. The 40hz and 90hz are massive and thick, and the 200 & 400hz are perfect for clearing out the dreck. these eq's alone are worth more than what this desk will sell for.

The last 4 channels have a 3 band fixed eq, which sounds to me like 60hz, 4k, and 10k. What these eq's lack in flexibility (I could never mix with just them), they make up for in sweetness because they have a really wide q and the freqs are very useful as tonebenders. I often choose them over the parametrics because they can do things their switchable brethren cannot. Explore these creatures, they won't disappoint!

If you're interested, here's a Beatles song I recorded with my Dad on vocals that I mixed on this desk, this track really demonstrates the old school analog vibe it has, such a deep, warm sound.

http://tinyurl.com/2ly65o

This desk is nearly 30 years old, and as such has a few funky quirks typical of old pieces. The big deal is that channel 6's input is slightly distorted and sounds hipassed; my tech suspects it's a bad chip, but I actually like having that sound so I never had him fix it. It sounds great on Rhodes or V.I. synths that need some dirt and character. In fact, it's on the B3 in the above Beatles track, so hear for yourself. It should be a simple repair, but again I?d advise you to play with it and see if you can't embrace it like I have.

The only other quirk is that sometimes a pan knob gets crackly or a buss assign switch won't pass sound when you engage it; in either case, a small shot of contact cleaner always clears it up, and I?ll include a can in the purchase. This happens about once a month, the can has lasted me 5 years and is still half full.

Other than that, you'll notice that on the back panel the first 8 channels have rca connectors as inputs and outputs. I don't know what the designers were smoking when they made that choice, but I?ll include an 8-channel 1/4 -> rca snake so you don't have to think about it.

That's all I can think of, if you have any questions feel free to ask, my name is Greg. This thing is heavy and isn't small, so keep that in mind for shipping, think ballpark $80 for ups ground. I will ship to the continental U.S. only.

Good luck!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:06 am

ooooo sweet

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:19 pm

ok, listen, people.

you don't understand how awesome this board is.

the EQ's *REALLY ARE* the API 550 eq's. they REALLY DO sound like a million bucks. they REALLY ARE made with API quality caps and such.

the transformers sound wonderful. there's enough gain on the board to make my ribbon mics useful. it's not a noisy board, but there's a teeny amount of natural hiss that sounds really good.

it's fantastic.

i can't believe this board has been selling for less than $1500.

i bet you can gut the board and rack the channel strips for $350/ea.

the eq's are worth it.

love, -mt
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:10 pm

no shipping though :(
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

u b k
audio school

Post by u b k » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:29 pm

Milkmansound wrote:no shipping though :(

? :shock: ?

i'll ship it anywhere in the continental US, and i think it'll be closer to $60 than $80.

gregoire
del
ubk

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:38 pm

Gotta say it again.. love these boards. Working up the wiring for mine :)

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:05 pm

Must resist... have to buy house... must resist sweet analog board... uhhhhg.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:52 pm

hobo it!
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*