Old Plank Sonic Labs downsizing

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Old Plank Sonic Labs downsizing

Post by aitikin » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:32 am

So I was just over at a friend of a friend's studio. It turns out that he is seriously downsizing, so I figured I would post his list and help him get his stuff sold, and possibly get some tapeoppers a great deal on some gear.

The list can be found here. It is an updated list with holds listed.

He's located in Naperville IL and everything is cash and carry. This will be going on until August, so have at it guys!

EDIT: Just realized I forgot to post his info:
Steve Jacula
630-420-0743
stevej810@mac.com

He's a very nice guy and it's a shame he has to cut so far back.

EDIT 2: Reflecting what's shown below.

EDIT 3: UPDATED LIST

EDIT 4: Updating list and cross posting on other message boards.

EDIT 5: Updated list
Last edited by aitikin on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:00 am, edited 5 times in total.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:14 am

Actually, to quote from his list, "Items in blue - not for sale."
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio
A Solar Powered Colorado Recording Studio

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

wow

Post by aitikin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:52 pm

wow, that's what I get for trying to type it up when I haven't had any downtime. Sorry, you are very much correct.
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:21 pm

No problem and no worries! The issue was I wanted some of the items in blue!

Oh well... :D
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:37 pm

My issue is I wanted a lot of the items. Then I realized I have no money...
~Mark Rubel

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:56 pm

Bump/Offer.

If someone can get me cash/check/MO and will be able to wait until that clears (in the case of personal check), I would be willing to pick things up from him and mail them to you. PM me for more information and I will start an email with Steve.
~Mark Rubel

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:05 pm

So, did he get burned in the past? Just wondering what the deal is with local sale/no shipping/etc. I mean, I completely understand his position (I do!) it is just a bit rare these days to have to go through all that.

Also, I understand he's a little untrusting of shipping, etc., but we don't know him either. We're supposed to want to give a complete stranger a check or MO?

I promise I'm not trying to start a ruckus or anything. Just genuinely curious.
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:03 pm

He didn't say, but I have a feeling that it's got something to do with the hospital bills he just incurred. He has more trouble moving than he used to and he just appears to be having a hard time of things.

The big thing that he's trying to find a home for is his mixer, but that's kind one of those where it makes perfect sense not to ship it. BTW, it's pretty nicely priced and comes with stand.
~Mark Rubel

lunatic
steve albini likes it

Post by lunatic » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:04 pm

Oh, man. I hope he gets better!
Brad Smalling
Evergroove Studio

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:36 pm

Bump.

I picked up his HD24 for Mark yesterday. The guy is a pleasure to work with.

He commented to me that he might be willing to work with shipping, but only if you're willing to send him the money and wait for the check to clear or whatever and then he'll ship it and he's not going to setup paypal for the sole purpose of this sale.

His big problem with shipping stuff is that, when someone not so trustworthy buys stuff, they trash it and then bitch that it's trashed. Thus if you go for the shipping route, you're going to probably have to agree that all sales are final, which, given the nature of this sale probably should go without saying.
~Mark Rubel

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 pm

Bump for updated list.
~Mark Rubel

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:55 pm

Bump, currently brokering a deal for hatbeardglasses on one of the Beyer TGX-50s that Steve has for sale.
~Mark Rubel

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Whoa! I didn't realize he was under the weather...or downsizing.

The AMR Board is a great sounding board! I helped the second owner get in to his basement studio quite a few years back. I knew Steve had bought it and probably used it to its fullest. Its a full size pro quality mixer for sure. If your looking for a full size production board, that's a steal at that price! ...but its heavy!

The studio master board he has for sale are quite nice...and the price is way good too! Much nicer sounding than the Mackie boards for the same price.

I hope he is not getting completely out of recording. Maybe his getting a nice pro-tools rig? He does a great job of recording drums for sure! I think hundreds of bands have done demo's with Steve over the years. Kind of surprised to see the Hardy and Amek stuff go. He seemed to really dig those boxes. Its been 4 or 5 years since I was there last, but really dug his setup!

Joe E

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:05 pm

Yeah, he's moving and downsizing, but still going. He's keeping one of his HD24s and seemingly moving to a computer based rig. I really wish I had the money to buy more of the stuff he's offering cause it's really nice.

I actually knew about him through two means, my buddy's aunt (or some similar relationship) did a paint job on the place and his step-dad worked with him on a few projects, and then my brother's friend recorded a demo there. He really has it set up quite well and it's quite a shame.
~Mark Rubel

jrepro
steve albini likes it

Post by jrepro » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 pm

I know him from Naperville music a million years ago...but also from Music Solutions and Frankies Blue room. We all have several mutual friends, all though I am not personally his friend. I worked a few times in his studio with another engineer. I loved alot of the gear he has especially the preamps from Hardy and Amek.

Anyway, great to see you help him out.

Joe