FOR SALE CUSTOM YAMAHA PM-1000 8 CHANNEL SIDECAR MIXER!

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

jaredrush
ass engineer

FOR SALE CUSTOM YAMAHA PM-1000 8 CHANNEL SIDECAR MIXER!

Post by jaredrush » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:00 pm

Ok, so i have sold a lot of cool gear on there lately, but this is the grand-daddy of custom little consoles. This is a 8 channel custom-made pm-1000 "drum console"

it has 8 XLR inputs and 8 balanced 1/4 inch TRS outputs (so it intergrates easily right into a your DAW)

It has the original power supply mounted in a nice external rack enclosure with the "power on" switch as well as the "48 volt phantom power" switch. The power supply is connected to the console by a long 35 foot cable. This cable has a detachable connector on it so you can just unplug the console for easy moving or trasnportation. I designed this console to sit along side my standard console so I could easily record drums or whatever through it and not have to worry about it taking up space. All the channels have the Tamura Input AND Output transformers on every channel. This is a 8 IN/ 8 OUT little console.. If you want that sought after pm1000 sound in your studio, but don't want to take up all the space with the whole console, this is your console!

Pictures can be seen at:

www.thefrequencyfactory.com/sidecar1.jpg

www.thefrequencyfactory.com/sidecar2.jpg

Make an offer!

Thanks. jrushprojects@yahoo.com

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:57 am

That's awesome.

Where did you get/make the channel strip frame?
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

jaredrush
ass engineer

Post by jaredrush » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:09 am

I took parts from a 16 channel console and build the case
and mounted all the hardware inside. It's really slick!

It's nice to have the faders there and everything..

The strips are all still intact so their value is still in tact!

Anyone would love to have this slick little console!

It's still available for anyone who wants it. You a 8 beautiful pres and eqs all in
this little affordable package. Recording drums just got better!

KamikazeKyle
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by KamikazeKyle » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:40 am

Man Jared you have all kinds of cool gear. This guy is great to do business with, I highly recommend buying from him.

daveg62
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by daveg62 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Well I can vouch for these pre's working great on drums. I have 4 racked channels that I use right now and use them pretty much exclusively on drums.
Cool little set-up you got there. Have they been re-capped?

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:17 pm

Man, I would love to have this, but there is no way I can afford it right now.

Do you often do these? Maybe I could get you to build me one down the road?
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

mortimersnerdy
re-cappin' neve

Post by mortimersnerdy » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:59 am

I mixed live sound for a band in the early 80's that had a 16 channel version of these.The band also did some recordings with it and
the bass gtr and kit always sounded thick and fat, and you could crank the eq for as much color as you wanted. The mid eq points weren't ideal, but all else was acceptable. Have you had any offers? What's been the best? I imagine shipping would be a real bear. I'd love to have it, since I have 2 modules sitting in a cabinet yet to be racked by a tech head aquaintence of mine, and I've been procrastinating about getting it done, and buying 500 series pres instead for my Lunchbox. Man, it would be REAL handy though. Why are you selling it?

cheers, and all that rot,
martin
Last edited by mortimersnerdy on Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Possessions are a way of turning money into problems"
-Brian Eno

valverec
gettin' sounds

Post by valverec » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:17 am

You can even mod the EQ to make the mids more usable. Plus if you make the 10k shelf a 12k shelf using nice film caps it sounds really really good. It's actually quite easy to mod the EQ's on these things too. If you can desolder four capacitors and solder in four new ones you can mod the three mid bands and the high shelf. It takes about five minutes. The only bummer is that you can't mod the low EQ because there's no capacitor in the mix there determining the frequency, it's all inductor based on that one. The good news there is that the low EQ hits at a decent frequency and sounds thick as hell. PM1k's sound really excellent, and the preamps are fantastic class A preamps.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:28 am

The low eq is great on PM1K's. Not necessarily for boosting all that much imo, but for cutting it seems to be at a really good place for guitars.

What's really useful with these eq's is if you put a 2.2uF/50V Wima MKS-2 (they're pretty small) in the low mid position. This will bring the low mid down to the 300Hz region, which is very useful for cutting out some mud in kick drums and other things.

I havn't figured out the best frequencies or the appropriate caps for the mid mid and high mid yet, but I plan to try to use Wima series because they sound really nice.

The high at 12K I guess is okay. I'm kind of like eh, whatever, between 10 and 12 on the PM1K. But a Wima again in this position makes a difference. I suppose if you bump the top up to 12, you could put the high mid in the 7-8K region. Even better would be a switch for both options in the high.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:32 am

Jared, you know what would be super awesome is if you had a couple pics of the chassis w/out the strips.
Maybe just for posterity?

I'm trying to build the same thing out of an original chassis, except with the busses and a headphone strip. It would be cool to know how you cut it.

drumstud
audio school graduate

Post by drumstud » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:55 pm

I have a pm1000 right now that I am about to add output transformers on eight channels. I love your design and am wondering if I could get the specs of the casing for this unit you have constructed? Also, maybe where you had it constructed? Is it metal? I just need a good case for the eight channels I have. Peace

jaredrush
ass engineer

Case for channels

Post by jaredrush » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 am

I made the sidecar case out of MDF board. The key to making it work is the metal rail on the inside that locks the channels in place as well has the special circuit baord. I have a 16 channel chassis that i cut it out of. If you are interested in the whole 16 channel chassis (you could cut what you need off it, or cut it down to fit your project) or if you'd like to buy the metal rail, i can sell you some of the rail to make your project work.. The pm1000's have a circuit board that's in blocks of 8 with these blue connectors that the channels plug into. I just cut out a 8 channel block and used the metal rail to lock the channels in place (and this allowed them to be removed for servicing when needed. Let me know if you want me to hook you up with circuit boards, metal rails, or the whole 16 channel chassis. I have meters too.

let me know, and good luck with your project

patd76
audio school

Any Other Parts...

Post by patd76 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:22 pm

That is a great looking cart. I might be interested in buying it from you if it is still avaliable. I was also wondering if you had any of the other parts from the PM1000. I am looking for the VU Meters, if you have any that you are willing to part with I would be interested in buying at least one. Thanks for your time.

jaredrush
ass engineer

Vu meters

Post by jaredrush » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:11 am

Yes I have some VU meters for the pm1000 laying around if u still need them