FS/FT: Apogee Duet

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

earth tones
steve albini likes it

FS/FT: Apogee Duet

Post by earth tones » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:25 pm

Two weeks ago, I purchased a new Apogee Duet with high hopes of making a transition from Pro Tools to Logic Pro. I was sick of the 002r, and really could not justify dropping $1000 for an interface/converter upgrade. The Duet, with it's Apogee converters, compact/minimalistic design and seamless Macintosh integration really had me sold.

I adore the AD/DA conversion that the Duet provides, but I am simply not interested in learning Logic for audio recording and editing. It's a huge application with tons of features...just not as streamlined and intuitive for audio editing as I, personally, find Pro Tools to be.

It saddens me that I cannot use this sub-$500 interface with my Pro Tools software, as it is high quality, and truly all the I/O that I need.

Anybody want to purchase or trade? I am looking for a firewire based, Digidesign 002r compatible interface with quality AD/DA conversion. I will supplement trade with cash if somebody is interested in trading a higher dollar item like an Apogee Ensemble.

Thanks!

earth tones
steve albini likes it

Post by earth tones » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:33 pm

Only if the Duet had digital outputs, then I could connect it to my 002r....or if Digidesign could allow their software to run with other interfaces or solely with Core Audio. It's so close.

rauri76
takin' a dinner break

your Apogee Duet

Post by rauri76 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Hey Fellow,
I'm interested in your Duet if its still available.
I don't know if your interested but I have a Black Lion Audio modded digi 002r.
I got the pres/analog ins and the clock modded and it made a huge difference imho.
But I am moving to logic express and the Duet is perfect for me and what I want to do.
http://www.blacklionaudio.com/digi002_mod.html
"Analog Stages + Mic Pres
We're able to completely rework the entire analog stage, including the mic preamps, line inputs, voltage reference circuitry, and headphone amp. We're fans of Burr Brown's OPA4134, and we substitute those for the TL074 opamps used in the mic preamp and line inputs. We're able to reduce analog stage noise created by the 002's phantom power circuitry as well as reducing the RF noise created by the 002's switching power supply.

The Clock
While experimenting with clock designs, we found that we liked the quality of the audio better when the master clock frequency was increased. Due to the superior nature of third overtone XO crystal oscillators (they have inherently less jitter than fundamental XO oscillators), we decided to increase the 002's original master clock frequencies, and then divide them by two to obtain the needed frequencies. We started with a pair of ultra-low jitter (1 picosecond average) XO oscillators, one for 44.1 kHz and its multiples, and one for 48 kHz and its multiples. We use a proprietary method that keeps accumulated jitter and switching noise to a bare minimum: under 10 picoseconds. Coupled with our approach to converter configuration, we're able to bring the 002 to a level of performance that rivals or exceeds digital systems that cost thousands more."
Mod review here
http://www.blacklionaudio.com/digi002_s ... eview.html
Thanks
Rauri