WTRent (& potentially buy) Spirit M12, Audiofire12

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

WTRent (& potentially buy) Spirit M12, Audiofire12

Post by Grahambo! » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:05 am

Hi. I'm thinking of upgrading my gear for the first time. I now use a mere Presonus Firestudio Project. I'm looking into getting rid of it and getting a Soundcraft Spirit M12 mixer and an Echo Audiofire 12 in replacement.

#1 I would have more channels and routing capabilities
#2 Sound a lot better, I bet.

however, since I'm new to a lot of this, I want to test it out in my lil' home studio before I make the plunge. If anyone has either of these for sale or is in the Chicago area and wouldn't mind lending or renting ($) it out to me for a day or 2, I'd be very appreciative.

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Man I had this exact same setup a couple of years ago and it was awesome!
The only thing is of course I found myself wishing I had more channels. the preamps on the M12 are nice and punchy, the signal path of both is really really clean, and the echo converters are excellent for the price... The only reason I got rid of it is I upgraded to a larger format console..

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Wouldn't happen to have any mp3s or wavs from that set-up would you? Particularly of drums...

I wish I could test it out before I go search craigslist and whatnot and buy it.

If you have any mp3s of the M12 + Audiofire 12, I would love you forever. :D :wink:

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Echo products:

I talked directly to one of the circuit designers a while ago.

Some interesting facts:

Assembled / QC in US

The old Echo 24/96 and the new '3G' and Audiofire lines are the same converters and chips! All models are exactly the same, with the difference being either firewire/PCI, and the newer Echo products are PC powered, and don't have an internal power supply you need to hook up to. The further away any type of AC or power can be from the converters and circuitry, the better.

So, I use the Layla 3G. It's AMAZING. Crystal clear. I can switch at my board back and forth 'straight from the mics' then 'back from the computer', and I can't tell a difference AT ALL.

I'd just make sure you've got a halfway decent computer PSU. Something 400V and above.

When using the Layla, I found that any USB flash drives (and my product key) were intermittent using the rest of my comp's USB ports. I got an external powered USB 2.0 hub, and it works great.

Long post short:

Echo is fantastic.

Crystal clear, no coloration whatsoever.

Best product support - you can call and speak to anyone anytime. They host drivers and manuals for products LONG since discontinued.

Make sure you've got a decent computer PSU for anything computer powered.

Think about an external USB hub for dongles/licenses/flash drives.

And, no, I don't work for Echo. It's just great stuff.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:53 pm

I do actually you can just go to www.myspace.com/thesleepwalkersband
and listen to down with baby and vc baby... those two were recorded with that setup.
I did use a few outboard pres also (sytek, vintech 72, and solo 610) so maybe it's not a completely fair representation. Oh and it was mixed in Cubase, not on the M12...

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:01 pm

Which version of "Down With Baby" was recorded with that set-up? Or were both? You have 2 on your myspace. #1 is obviously more polished. #2 sounds more like a nice demo.

I wish I could afford some outboard pre's too. However I can't. I just want the best bang for my buck. And I think the M12 + the Audiofire 12 would beat out my Presonus Firestudio Project in terms of sound quality. Am I wrong?

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:28 pm

#1 was done with that setup. sorry yea #2 was a live recording done off a mackie board into a cd recorder...

Grahambo!
steve albini likes it

Post by Grahambo! » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:19 am

Wow. Sounds awesome.

I'm really excited now haha. My presonus tracks never sound like that. Granted, you did say you were using some nice pre-amps....