F/S-F/T: Otari mx5050 mk3

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

ivanovich
gettin' sounds

F/S-F/T: Otari mx5050 mk3

Post by ivanovich » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:53 pm

For sale is a really nice Otari Mx-5050 Mk3 1/2" tape machine in extremely good condition. It comes with a custom made cover to protect it from dust when not in use. Included is also a custom made remote control with a 20ft cable. The remote is not the one made by otari. Also included are ten reels of tape. A bunch of emtech 911, one reel of quantegy/ampex 456, and a bunch of RMGI brand new never opened. All of the tape offered I bought new. So they have A LOT OF LIFE LEFT!!!!

Wait there's more! Also, a brand new MRL tape to go with it! I've also got the head demagnetizer, and cleaning supplies to keep it in good shape and running for a long time to come. It has a brand new pinch roller. With the unit is included an extra impedance roller for when it goes out- this wont happen anytime soon but when it does, you'll be ready!

I've got a nice patchbay that would go along with it for extra $$$. If you're interested let me know. The patch bay(TT) is set up to interface the tape machine, an 8channel mixer, and an eight channel DAW-like a 002r or something.....comes with a 50ft 8xlr/4trs snake. patchbay is dope. it interfaces a lot more, inquire for more info.

Quck recap:
-mx5050mk3 tape deck; remote control; brand new pinch roller; extra impedance roller; dust cover; head/tape path demagnetizer; 99.9 isopopryl alcohol; NEW MRL 250nWbrs calibration tape; a bunch of fresh tape; take up reel;
-optional patchbay.

best offer. if you want a machine that you can start using ASAP this is the one for you. also interested in trading. looking for nice mics/broken vintage tube compressors/limiters or something interesting.

lookin for DC metro area pick up only.

peace!
-ivan

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:08 pm

there's no mention of how many tracks the machine has!

it's either a 4 or 8, though - right?
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

mikecorwin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mikecorwin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:56 pm

MX5050 1/2 machines were 8 track. I've got one, it's sweet!

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:50 pm

i've got a 1/2 5050 mk 3 4 track - they made two formats!
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:24 pm

I've seen 'em as 2-track also. Can you imagine?!?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

atavacron
steve albini likes it

Post by atavacron » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:24 pm

this is a really well-put-together package!

hey, can we see pix and/or info on the custom remote?

thx
shipwreckoakland.com
5 1 0 . 9 7 2 . T A P E

mikecorwin
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mikecorwin » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:45 am

Holy crap! I had NO idea that they made 1/2" 2 and 4 track MX5050's. Thanks guys for chiming in, now I know!

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:34 pm

Otari made a 1/4" two track 5050, but NOT a 1/2" two track.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:48 pm

I saw one listed several times on eBay that was a 1/2" two track, and one listed on Craigslist in the DC area back around Thanksgiving that was the same way. The one on eBay had pics; definitely two-channel electronics up above the transport. Looked just like an 8-channel deck but with meters and knobs for two channels only. Nobody was bidding on it, and when it sold it went cheap. I dunno, someone could have modified the deck somehow, but it sure looked factory to me. But, whatever.

'Course we still don't know how many channels this particular 5050 has.

www.andysmash.com

stereobongos
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stereobongos » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:03 pm

Judas Jetski wrote:I saw one listed several times on eBay that was a 1/2" two track, and one listed on Craigslist in the DC area back around Thanksgiving that was the same way. The one on eBay had pics; definitely two-channel electronics up above the transport. Looked just like an 8-channel deck but with meters and knobs for two channels only. Nobody was bidding on it, and when it sold it went cheap. I dunno, someone could have modified the deck somehow, but it sure looked factory to me. But, whatever.

'Course we still don't know how many channels this particular 5050 has.
Off topic, I know, but I once emailed JRF about a two-track conversion for a 1/2" 8 trk (Otari or Tascam). According to Mr French neither machine has the voltage (or whatever) to be a 1/2" 2 track.

I've seen a few 1/4" machines and tapes that are described as 1/2".

Otari made versions of the 2trk that were horizontal and versions that were vertical.

Considering that the OP said the patch bay and assorted accessories were set up to interface with a 8 channel digital thing-y, y'all are probably safe to assume it's an 8trk.
I have two, they're great. Buy it. Happy New Year.
SB
Just because you can, that doesn't mean you should.
-Me

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:01 am

Not to belabor a point, but one of those two-track machines is up on evilBay right now... can't tell for sure whether it's 1/2" or not from the pics. The auction for the one in Canada did specify 1/2" width though.

Just to be clear, this is not the same deck the OP is selling. It's apparently a 2-track version of the same model.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &viewitem=

I wonder whether the OP has had any success selling his deck? I was in DC over Txgiving; I totally would have bought the thing then.

www.andysmash.com

TACOVAN
audio school graduate

Post by TACOVAN » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:06 am

PM'd