FS: Seriously Pimped Nady w/ Peluso U67 style capsule SOLD

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

FS: Seriously Pimped Nady w/ Peluso U67 style capsule SOLD

Post by honkyjonk » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:17 pm

SOLD

I hate to do it but I'm broke and need the funds to continue some other projects. If anybody is into this mic, this is what it is:

Nady TCM 1050 tube mic. Basically it has nothing to do with Nady other than the body.
The list of mods include:
1. Peluso U67 style (CEK67) capsule. This is different from the "CEK367" that he has up on his site. Basically I called Peluso at one point concerning another version of this mic with his CEK47 capsule in it, to talk about the amount of proximity bump I was getting in the '47' He suggested this one, which it did turn out sounded almost identical to his '47' but without such a drastic proximity bump. The low end is still all there, it's just not a boomy when you're close to it.

2. Peluso BV8 transformer (U47 style tranny)

3. all resistors upgraded to Dale and Ohmite 1% metal film resistors

4. NOS GE 6072A (12AY7) tube

5. Black Gate cap for C6 (THis is the ONLY electrolytic in the mic and it's from the best company there is in that regard)

6. Auricap for C8. This is a very important cap. Different caps will really change the sound here. Auricaps are super high end, hi fi caps that cost a lot of money

7. All other caps were replaced with either Wima or panasonic film caps.

8. Several resistor value changes. R3 and R4 were changed from 270K ohms to 499K ohms. This gets the correct voltage to the Peluso's capsule. C4 is changed from a .001uF to a .01uF. This beefs up the low mids a bit. R10 has been changed from a 1KM ohm resistor to a 100M ohn resistor. (This was a big change, and made the mids sound a lot cooler. More punchy)

9. Diode changes in the power supply so that the voltage coming in on pin 1 is 158V. This is much better for both the capsule and the tube and results in a more vintagey, warmer, and smoother sound. This is a huge change. Also replaced caps in the power supply with Nichicon lytics and Wima and Panasonic for the films.

10. Removal of C9 and C10 (filter caps that are unnecessary with a good transformer)

Basically, there is a guy named Dave Thomas in Canada that if you search here and on gearslutz or HHB for, started modding these Nadys and Apex's (same circuit) by replacing the capsule with a Peluso capsule, transformer with a cinemag, and putting in a ceramic cap for C8. Anyway, in the end you ended up spending about $700 and waiting a year and a half to get your mic back. Check the posts and see about the people pissed and confused about this.

So anyway, it was cool that he started doing this to these mics because it inspired a slew of people over at studio forums and the HHB home recording forums to keep going and mod the things even further. So if you want a mic that's already done, and for cheaper and will sound a hell of a lot better than Dave Thomas' version, and you don't want to wait for a year and a half, well here ya go.

It's really insane the amount of difference the diode modification and the change in C8 make to this mic. Just the difference between a relatively high quality Panasonic film and the Auricap was huge (at the same values) D.T. doesn't (last I'd heard) do anything to the voltage coming from the p.s. or put anywhere near as nice a cap as the auricap in C8. And then there's the various resistor changes too.

Pics
http://img145.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... alltc3.jpg Everything
http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ronfy8.jpg mic w/ sleeve on
http://img156.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... penfs2.jpg cover off
http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... tubcq5.jpg tube side
http://img396.imageshack.us/my.php?image=psopenwj7.jpg ps open

$600 +paypal and shipping. Let me know. PM me or email at jonw541 at yahoo dot com
Thanks,
Jon
Last edited by honkyjonk on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm pretty sure I own the nady/ peluso u47 version honkyjonk sold me. Its a very good sounding and handy mic with all the patterns... I used it on figure 8 for a live-off-the-floor vocal, with the null pointed towards the drum set and a blanket around the sides and back. The vocalist loved the sound, and I was really happy that I got a useable amount of vocal level and fairly good sounding drum bleed.

So, thumbs up. I don't really need another mic just like it (the u47 one is about as bright as I'd like, actually), but someone should be very happy with this.
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:13 pm

Hey Mike,

Thanks. Though, you may be thinking of someone else unless Andrew Nack sold it to you or something.

But anyway, yeah, just an excuse for a bump. Bump!

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 pm

Hmm.. I dunno. Its a nady with the peluso 47 capsule, transformer, GE tube, PS mods, etc etc...
Making Efforts and Forging Ahead Courageously! Keeping Honest and Making Innovations Perpetually!

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:02 pm

you got it from me dynomike :)
another free bump
________
UPSKIRT CANDID
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:16 am

haha... Good stuff.

I own the peluso/nady u47 copy which Jon modded.

It is a great sounding mic, and this one is too.

Jon is a very honest reliable cat. Buy with confidence.

And yet another bump.

And Jon, I'm still up to purchase those bass traps. Let me know!!!!!
Don't forget to breath.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Okay,

Well, it's sold. I tested it one last time today before I shipped it off. I'm kinda sad about it. Great mic. Totally ruled on my old Gibson J 50 in the wooden room upstairs. I guess a 57 rules for that as well though.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:24 pm

Jon, thianks for all the info on the mic. Even though i didn't buy it, i was very very close.. being unemployed and other situations make me "think twice" sometimes making me think twice twice. But yeah, seems whoever bought this mic is going to have a nice addition.