'60s Egmond "Jazzmaster" FS

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

j_howell
pushin' record

'60s Egmond "Jazzmaster" FS

Post by j_howell » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:51 pm

Hate to part with it, but I have too much stuff and too little money...so before it goes up on evilBay...

'60s Egmond "Jazzmaster". I actually found out what this model was really called, but promptly forgot. Anyway, here's what it is: Semi-hollow (yep), covered in black faux leatherette, metal binding on the body, peghead face covered entirely in pearloid. Crazy. Pickguard matches peghead face. All in all in very, very good + condition, with just a couple of minor cosmetic issues: the pickguard (like many made from this material) has shrunk slightly overthe years, so one corner is missing a small bit of the plastic. Also, there's a small (see photos) cut in the leatherette on the back of the guitar. The original case (find another one of those, I dare you!) is in decent shape, but is used. Fine structurally, but a little rough in places on the outside.

Features:Aside from overall stylishness, this is a pretty cool little guitar. Sounds basically nothing like a Fender Jag or Jazzmaster- actually sounds somewhat like a cross between a Jazzmaster and maybe a Gretsch? Kinda twangy, but not quite Tele or Duane Eddy twangy. The neck is substantial- not a baseball bat, but definitely chunkier than either of the Fenders it sorta looks like. Pickups are nice, medium output and about on par with a vintage Fender as far as noise goes (not completely noiseless, but not terrible either. Depends a lot on the amp, actually). Rotary three-way pickup switch, volume and tone controls, and a goofy switch that cuts the volume by about half. I thought this was kind of a useless feature and thought about wiring in another volume (one for each pickup), but then discovered a great use for it: perfect for eBow. If you use an eBow, you know what I mean. Cuts the output just the right amount as to not slam your amp's input into a screechy mess at the flick of a switch! Also, has the BEST TREMOLO EVER! I actually prefer it to the comparable Fender. The wang bar action on this guitar is awesome, totally adjustable for arm resistance, stays in tune remarkably well, and can be fully tightened for no travel when changing strings.

A great guitar as is. I was thinking of maybe upgrading the bridge to something more Jazzmaster-y, and maybe swapping the pickups out with something like maybe DeArmond/Gretsch Dyna-Sonics, which would be higher output and probably amazing on this guitar, but I have too many projects and this guitar's perfectly fine as is.

Like I said, very good condition. However, I am selling as is- it's nearing fifty years old and WILL need occasional maintenance. I've had it almost a decade and have had to resolder a couple of joints in it over the years. So, while I'm sure those joints won't go bad anytime soon, others might. If you're handy with a soldering iron, not a big deal at all, if you're not, still not a big deal, any tech can handle that kind of thing easily and inexpensively. As it is now, it's in fine, playable condition, but given its age, I can't guarantee it won't need attention in the future. No current issues, though.

Overall, a pretty hep instrument. I love it, and wouldn't sell it, but I have too much stuff and I'm getting rid of some of it to save me from moving it, and because I could use the cash. Makes a great slide guitar, the action is just high enough for slide as long as you're not too heavy-handed with it, and low enough for chording and easy bending. Definitely a unique instrument, notsomething you see everyday. Makes a nice alternative to, say a Hagstrom or Supro or something. Made in Holland. Has pencilled inside the body: "Blausmeir Einen!", whatever that means! Those crazy Dutch... Very lightweight and comfy.

Anyway...$350 w/ OHSC. Which is what I paid for it. I've seen these go for considerably more on Evilbay, but times are tough, and I'm not a dealer, just a guy who loves old, weird guitars, who'd love for this one to find as good a home as I've given it. Vintage cool for about the price of a new Chinese Danelectro!

pics up on flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36209753@N ... 4922436495
I like pie.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 am

Cool guitar!!!!

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks! I like it, but don't really use it enough to warrant keeping it anymore, especially since I'm a little cramped for space these days...
I like pie.

littlesongs
pushin' record

Post by littlesongs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:11 pm

That is a beautiful old guitar. The Europeans made some really unique and underrated instruments. I hope it finds a good home.

"Blausmeer Einen!" means "A Blue Sea!" in German. One can only guess why it was written inside. Perhaps it was a clever way of labeling the instrument for export across the blue sea?

Here is a young feller learning to play guitar on an Egmond...

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Ha! Nice photo of George. Didn't Paul have an Eggy as his first guitar as well?
I like pie.

xx3479327
studio intern

Post by xx3479327 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:34 pm

WOW. Anyone with 350 bucks to spare who passes this thing up is a fool.

jackson park
gettin' sounds

Post by jackson park » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:28 am

goddamn that is a badass looking guitar

bunny
gettin' sounds

Post by bunny » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:38 am

is it true you sold this guitar for $150?

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:56 am

want to trade for a barely used Fathead II stereo pair kit?
That should take up less space :D

j_howell
pushin' record

Post by j_howell » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:21 pm

bunny wrote:is it true you sold this guitar for $150?
Nope, not true. I think I ended up getting $300 for it, if memory serves? I kinda miss it, though. It was pretty cool...
I like pie.