Speck Speckmix MkII recently serviced For Sale

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

asmara
steve albini likes it

Speck Speckmix MkII recently serviced For Sale

Post by asmara » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:46 am

here is the craigslist link
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/1092348936.html

I am the owner but my bandmate is actually responding to the craigslist ads as it is stored in his rehearsal space.

Anyway I will honor a 50 dollar off discount for TapeOp members so if you are interested either PM me or reply to CL link
cheers

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:49 am

Also have SSM and Expander FS. Here is the scoop on those 2 items.
SSM 500.00
Expander 400.00

I listed these before a couple of times but I finally got around to getting the main board looked at and overhauled.

SEE DOWNLOAD IN THE FOLLOWING LINK
http://www.speck.com/downloads.shtml

LOOK AT SSM REFERENCE MANUAL FOR SPECS AND SIGNAL FLOW ETC.

The Prices I have established are firm. New these would have been over 4000.00 dollars and I purchased them sight unseen on eBay 3 years ago for 1500.00 and realized that there we're several issues. Not being techinically inclined I put them in storage and hoped to one day fix myself. I finally called someone who specializes in boards and audio components to go over and address all of the aging issues (see note below). He spent about 12 hours on it. You do not see these very often as they are great set-it and leave it sub-mixers or summing mixers in studios around the world. I hate to part but I am kind-of retiring from music as I now have 3 small children ..and that whole economy thing to deal with.

This particular SSM+Expander was configured by Vince for a recording artist in Seattle area in the 1980s. The main SSM board has 7 mono and 5 stereo channels. There are 8 Aux Send returns and 3 band eq for each channel. Separate PSU. Will Sell for $500.00.

The SSM Expander needs to be used with the SSM main for power and master bus. The expander has 16 mono channels. Will Sell for $400.00

I recently had a technician in Edina do a complete overhaul and service on the Main SSM unit because some pots and pans we're scratchy or had drop-outs. below is an email that he sent me to help understand the schematics as these boards are highly modifiable..
This is a really odd mixer. half the channels have mic inputs and half are stereo inputs. it has a bunch of add features you will never use and some i dont even know how you use. as this was designed to plug into another section, maye those features become available then???

The internal components are of avereage quaility. nothing special. BUT, these are parts you can actually work on and replace. not like a newer board where everything is built into one board and all surface mount stuff. Somone has added some little home made circuit boards and replaced an opamp on each board. It also has transformer balanced outputs so that will add a bit of flavor to it.

One odd thing is that the PFL on the stereo channels cause that channel to switch to mono when in PFL so dont try and PFL a stereo channel when recording!

The EQ section is real touchy, lots of range. yet the Inout trim controls seem to have a very small range?

It has a line in on the mike channels labled "Synth In"??? seems to just be a line input??

I think someone may have removed a switch or input from the mic channel boards as there is a spot on the board where it looks like one had been....

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:27 pm

-BUMP-

Had a few inquiries but no takers. All still available. I should mention that I would be open to trade offers as well.
Cheers,

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 am

Okay so I am getting a little desperate. I am willing to sell this non-locally now. I am also willing to take 500 for the Speckmix MkII. Shipping will be about 150.
Would still prefer a local pick-up but I gotta vacate our rehearsal space by the end of the month and this thing needs to get a new home.

drastic
takin' a dinner break

Post by drastic » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:55 am

PM'd and emailed you.

asmara
steve albini likes it

Post by asmara » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:59 am

Hooray, the SPeckmix II is pending sale to a TapeOp community member. The SSM and expander are still available. I will sell the expander by itself for 300 USD and if shipping is needed buyer to pay all shipping (UPS estimate about 75).
Thanks for your interest.