FS (EU): 1954 mint serviced Lyrec dual valve preamp lunchbox

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

FS (EU): 1954 mint serviced Lyrec dual valve preamp lunchbox

Post by creature.of.habit » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:18 am

Hello everyone, up for sale is something very special.

1954 Lyrec dual preamp (valve) in lunchbox (serviced and mint) - 1950 euros

About 2 years ago i bought a valve lunchbox from a brand i didn't know a lot about (Lyrec), but that supposedly manufactured in the 50s and 60s, along with Stephens, the best tape recorders in the world.

These are, simply put, the best preamps i've ever used (having used Great River NV units, having owned Archut's V78s and original V76s, and a number of others but i guess these would be what, for me, set the standard for great "modern" mic amplification). To me, the Lyrec preamps combine the best of both worlds - the euphonic and timeless sound of valves and the transformer sound most ppl associate with "warmth", whatever that might be.

Basically, each mono channel strip (input module + output module) includes 4 valves and 3 very hefty and big transformers (1 in the input module and 2 in the ouput module). All the caps are Jensen, safe for the ones that needed recapping (very few).

The topology is, forcibly, different than any preamp ever made, especially modern ones, since both output modules are summing modules meant to sum entire consoles (hence the gain and hugeness of the tone). This yields a different tone, bigger, but not aggressively in your face like modern neve inspired units. It is smooth, and timeless. I find that i need no eq whatsoever with its tracks, be it with ribbons, condensers, whatever.

They've been completely serviced, totally retubed (all the old ones and a few replacements are included) and recaped where needed by the only person in Denmark qualified to work on these units.

I've had a few modifications made. Since the output modules are summing modules, i've had a change made where one can feed say 2 mics and have the unit sum them up to only 1 output (i really like this for guitars, either acoustics or electrics). I find that the summing brings the best of both mics and it's a totally new dimension to the sound. This is doable with the flick of a switch.

I also had the PSU module moved into an external box and grounded to make the unit totally safe and much more quiet (the PSU was in the same lunchbox as the other modules before).

This is made with the best components available either at the time (or today), and it's seriously overbuilt. They're from 1954 but they will last forever, and after this service they'll run for another 50 years trouble free.

One of the things that impresses me more is that they're really quiet, even at high gain (more than 80 dbs).

The input and output modules have a input/output topology, so this means one can get a really big range of sounds by gain staging with both variables in mind. It also has a high pass filter that sounds like a million bucks and a variable pad on each input module that goes from 20 to 60 dbs i think (great to drive hot condensers). The tone is old, beautiful, bigger than life, and what you normally associate with the Columbia sound of the 50s and 60s (think early Dylan, etc).

Despite being a Danish product, they share much of the design of the famous canadian Mccurdy preamps, considered the best preamps ever. I seriously never thought i'd have to sell this, hence putting a lot of money into them - these are one of a kind, and lifetime press. They were the biggest audio investment i ever did in my life, but sadly i don't do this seriously anymore, so i cannot ever possibly justify something that i've put 3800 euros into just to record myself. Each module goes for 800 euros and i have 3800 euros in them, 800 euros a pop and they're sleeper gear, imagine if it wasn't.

With this last service (the fella is very gifted but extremely expensive) the amount i have in them is exactly 3800 euros. Considering they're now as good as new, i'm now asking 1850 less (down from 3000) - 1950 euros

The only flaw in the whole package is that the left knob on the input module was damaged during the trip to Denmark, despite the bullet proof packing.

note - i have since tracked down a new knob and it will be included in the package.

I'm located in Portugal, but i'll gladly ship anywhere, and have sent gear as far as LA or Seattle successfully, and throughout Europe as well of course.

Regarding payment, please, no paypal, those ppl still owe me 2000 euros and i know it's money i'll never ever see again - a simple bank transfer is much preferred.

any questions just PM me. Thanks in advance.

pictures here: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-12/1232652/2061643

creature.of.habit
buyin' a studio

Post by creature.of.habit » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:02 am

bump