Otari Status 18R in Oakland, CA

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

atavacron
steve albini likes it

Otari Status 18R in Oakland, CA

Post by atavacron » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:24 pm

From my Ebay listing ($3000 o.b.o.)...

More detailed photos (channel strips, rear connections et al) available here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anatomyofs ... 559604307/

This Otari Status 18R is the cleanest one you will find, anywhere. It sounds exceptionally smooth and transparent, as was Otari's design intent with the Status. It's much like the proverbial car that was only driven by Granny, on Sundays, and given tune-ups every six months.

It was sold by Otari to a project studio in San Francisco in 1998 for $54,618. After mild use, it was wrapped in plastic and put into storage. A year and a half ago, it was transferred to a San Francisco teaching studio and installed by a professional engineer with a strong electronics background. Patchbays were wired, minor fixes were done, standard maintenance and calibration was performed, and the console has been in constant studio use for the past year with nary a hitch. It has been exceptionally well cared for, and is ready to go into your studio.

As with any console, this will require knowledge and skill to commission. All channels have tested good in daily use, and there are no known sonic issues. While you are welcome to perform re-capping work, it does not currently require it. Complete maintenance records will come with the desk.

This is an 11-year-old analog desk; it will be sold AS-IS, no warranty expressed or implied. However, the buyer may expect my camaraderie, advice and technician referral, as I own a Status that I will be keeping and maintaining myself. There is an excellent travelling Otari technician in Chicago, who is generally considered as de facto Otari console support, and whose rates are reasonable.

This package includes:

Otari Status 18R

? 28 inline mono channels with phantom, mic/line pre, tape/DAW return, versatile 4-band sweep EQ assignable to channel or mix path
? 4 inline stereo channels with line pre & tape/DAW return, basic eq for channel and mix path
? 72 channels at mixdown
? 12 bus (technically 24, but busses are paired 1+13, 2+14 ... 12+24, which is actually a very fast way of working)
? Outputs for Nearfields, Mains, and Studio monitoring
? Outputs & Inputs for 3 stereo tape machines, DATs, CDRs, whatever
? Eagle VCA automation (you provide timecode source and any Windows 98 PC with a serial port)
? Dynamics package - assign a VCA limiter, compressor or gate to any channel for tracking or mixdown
? Highly flexible routing options - no really, you can send anything anywhere
? 4U Power Supply & PSU cabling
? The console is 72"W x 30"D x 12"H
? The custom stand surrounds the undercarriage of the console snugly and brings the console to optimal working height

Patchbay & Cabling

? 20U patch rack sits to the left of the console (plus a few feet if needed), and has a few RU of room to spare
? 6 96-point TT bays accept all points on the console (except Direct Outputs), with room for lots of additional outboard equipment and further customization. Normalling options on most bays are accomplished with pull-out modules.
? 1 48-point longframe 1/4" bay to connect the microphone tielines in your studio to the console Mic Inputs - manual mic patching is accomplished with the 16 included ADC 1/4" longframe patch cables
? Bays cost $900 alone
? All cabling to connect patchbays to the console - you provide only the cabling to your recorders, and cable to connect the Direct Outputs to the bays if so desired
? A 16-channel mic input panel with about 50 feet of cabling - nice bonus!

Documentation & Software

? Complete Otari Status 18R console manual with tech notes & mic pre recapping instructions
? Complete service record
? Complete Dynamics Option manual (this doesn't exist anywhere - I have never seen it before now)
? Complete current console software (build 83) and Eagle automation software (yes, all three disks)

Obviously, pickup is preferred. The console weighs something like 350 lbs, and the patch rack weighs about 150 lbs. The custom stand that the console fits into weighs about 50lbs and is collapsable. If absolutely necessary, I can deliver everything to you, within 50 miles of Oakland, California, for an additional $300. You are welcome to arrange your own crating and shipping service if you desire, but all I can do is provide access to the goods - I will not crate it for you as I am not willing to assume liability.

The $3000 Buy It Now price on this console is exceptionally low - approximately $2000 less than what the desk is worth, even in today's market. You are welcome to make a reasonable offer, but please understand that I can't go too much lower.
shipwreckoakland.com
5 1 0 . 9 7 2 . T A P E

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:08 am

Wow, sucks this is in California because I would buy it, that's a steal of a deal.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

atavacron
steve albini likes it

Post by atavacron » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:22 pm

minorleagues wrote:Wow, sucks this is in California because I would buy it, that's a steal of a deal.
I wonder what it would cost to ship a 7' x 4' x 2' 450lb crate and a 150lb wrapped-rack-strapped-to-a-4'x4'-pallet to Murfreesboro...via UPS Freight...hmmm....
shipwreckoakland.com
5 1 0 . 9 7 2 . T A P E

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:35 am

I don't even want to know...probably half as much as you're asking for the console!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

atavacron
steve albini likes it

Post by atavacron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:06 pm

Yeah maybe that was what the dude in Texas who offered me $1500 for it was thinking!
shipwreckoakland.com
5 1 0 . 9 7 2 . T A P E

jessejamietig
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by jessejamietig » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:57 am

This is an excellent console. I've used them before and highly recommend someone purchase it if they have the room and want to get kick-ass mixes easily.

atavacron
steve albini likes it

Post by atavacron » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Why thank you for the compliments. I like it too.

I had to relist this on eBay after a guy bought it and then realized that it was not a plug and play project console. Ironically, it's about as close to plug and play as one can get with a pro desk.
shipwreckoakland.com
5 1 0 . 9 7 2 . T A P E