Free (to the engineer with the best reason) dbx 266 comp/lim

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

hyde maintenance
gettin' sounds

Post by hyde maintenance » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:45 am

toothpastefordinner wrote:Kind sir, I beg your attention.

Several years ago, I owned a dbx 266. Living in a studio apartment with numerous and frequent visitors, I lacked a place to store the key to my safe, so I opened it up, taped the key inside, and reaffixed the lid. No one was the wiser, and three years later, I had forgotten about it (having no need to open my safe in such a long time) and sold the unit on ebay.

Having realized what I'd done two weeks after shipping the item to its buyer, I frantically emailed and telephoned him, only to get no response. I even sent a paper letter to him via certified mail, which was returned unopened.

I've bought over 40 dbx 266 units since then, hoping against hope that one or another would contain my key. None so far have, and each unit in turn was given to a local recording facility with an agreement that they would not resell their 266, complicating the search for my key.

The safe itself contains bank details of my father, a Nigerian prince, who upon passing away was revealed to hold a sum of thirteen million dollars (USD 13,000,000) stored in a Swiss bank account. The account number and security code for this account are locked in my safe, and as they are written on old and fragile paper, any attempt to torch or drill open the safe would destroy this document.

Your dbx 266 and the key which may be inside are my last hope. Please help me return my father's funds. Should we recover this bank account, you will immediately be disbursed three million dollars (USD 3,000,000) for your assistance in this matter. Time is of the essence, so please return my correspondence at the earliest possible time that may be convenient to you.

I thank you highly for your consideration of this matter and remain yours truly,

Drew
Tight!
That was really good.

lambchop
audio school graduate

Post by lambchop » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:51 pm

My wife suffers from loggarhea (diarrhea of the mouth). The voodoo doll I purchased didn't help. Neither did those internet pharmaceuticals. I figure if the limiting and compressing doesn't help I can just take the unit and whack her over the head. (Hmm, sounds like a plan! :wink: )

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Kind Sir,

Last night, as I lay in bed, my window burst open and a single DBX 266 rode into my bedroom on a virgin-white unicorn. The 266 said that it was here because it was tired of being mocked & ridiculed on the Tape-Op message board, and said that I was chosen by him to warn you all of the wrath & tierney that will be placed upon the souls of all whom dare to under-estimate the sheer force & overwhelming power of the legendary 266. He said that if I did not proclaim it's praise & locate one of it's many fine units to use everyday, that it would find my family & paint the streets red with their insides. Please Sir, I beg of you, kindly hand that unit over to me before it's too late!

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

wow! amazing all around...

Post by alexdingley » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:24 pm

So everyone... Thank you for such amazing posts. Some were very memorable. I sure would have loved to help out that lovely nigerian man with the millions of dollars... But the winner has surfaced.

Next time I post something like this, I might as well suggest: the most unicorn pictures in a post wins!

Congrats sir... your family is safe.

Thanks to everyone. We have our winner; lightandmind gets it!

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:49 pm

I CALL SHENANIGANS!!!

How else could a post with TWO misspellings of the possessive form of it, (its), and what I'm not sure is either a typo or a failed early 1980's buddy cop series, (Wrath & Tierney?! WTF? Do you mean "wrath and tyranny?"), plus gratuitous improper use of ampersands be the winner? Is it the fact that he/she did a Google Image Search and took one of the thousands of pictures on the internet of a cowboy hat-wearing, half-anthropomorphic dbx 266 riding a unicorn on the beach in front of a full moon and posted it? Give me a break!

I say the fix was in from the start. For shame, people, for shame.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:35 pm

AHHH!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!! I never win anything, this is very cool indeed. Why don't we do stuff like this more often? Alex is da man for hosting such a cool & clever contest.

I'm not really sure if I truly deserve to win, but nonetheless, I'd like to take this time to thank the acadamy, God, thedeepcuts, and my fellow Tape-Oper's with whom I couldn't have done it without. Thank you.

FYI: This wonderful comp will be donated to a fellow engineer in Columbus who was recently the victim of a pretty lucrative theft, and although it IS just a 266, it will go a long way for someone who really needs it right now. Thanks everyone, awesome posts guys. One love.

:D
Last edited by lightandmind on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.

lightandmind
pushin' record

Post by lightandmind » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:22 pm

How else could a post with TWO misspellings of the possessive form of it, (its), and what I'm not sure is either a typo or a failed early 1980's buddy cop series, (Wrath & Tierney?! WTF? Do you mean "wrath and tyranny?"), plus gratuitous improper use of ampersands be the winner? Is it the fact that he/she did a Google Image Search and took one of the thousands of pictures on the internet of a cowboy hat-wearing, half-anthropomorphic dbx 266 riding a unicorn on the beach in front of a full moon and posted it? Give me a break!

I say the fix was in from the start. For shame, people, for shame.
Damn, we've been busted! I must say, you did some really great detective work my friend. We would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for your keen eye & suspicious nature. Truth is, we devised the entire scheme together, it was all a big sham that took months of strategic planning & preparation with the sole purpose being simply just to irritate the crap out of you, & guess what? It worked! Seriously though, I didn't know it was suppose to be a spelling contest, but lucky for me, my clever wit & wild imagination is much better than my grammar. I liked your post though man, it was very apparent that you put some heart into it, sorry to have stolen your thunder. Now please Jim, be a true gentleman and back away while you still have some shred of dignity intact, I'm sure that with a little hard work you'll eventually get a 266 of your own someday.

Last edited by lightandmind on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Congranulations!!! And thank you.

My equipment rack is now safe from the wiles of the evil dbx 266. *phew!*

New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:09 pm

Damnit, I was going to use that on my 2bus for the album I'm working on. Guess I'll have to see if anyone has a 3630 they don't want..I doubt it though..

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Re: wow! amazing all around...

Post by chuckfurok » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:01 pm

thedeepcuts wrote:So everyone... Thank you for such amazing posts. Some were very memorable. I sure would have loved to help out that lovely nigerian man with the millions of dollars... But the winner has surfaced.

Next time I post something like this, I might as well suggest: the most unicorn pictures in a post wins!

Congrats sir... your family is safe.

Thanks to everyone. We have our winner; lightandmind gets it!
Did you send this to lightandmind? Cause he appears to be a con artist that stole my money and I would love to know his address. see: http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... ht=#589519