Stolen Guitars In Tucson, Please Help!

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

firgela
pushin' record

Stolen Guitars In Tucson, Please Help!

Post by firgela » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:27 am

Just got an email from a friend who needs a watchful eye out. The ES-5 is a rare bird in that it's a factory black finish, I've only ever seen them in sunburst or natural, the few that I've seen. That Guild was his baby too, sweetest open B string ever! Thanks all.
Hi,
Last week my house was broken into (Door kicked in) and five of my guitars were stolen. Here is a list of the guitars with a short description of each one. I won't go into the way it made me feel (REALLY BAD!) but I thought if all of you could forward this to your musician friends and other folks who might come across guitars in their daily life there might be a sliver of a chance that one of them might find their way home. I have been watching ebay and craigs list and I have been to a lot of music stores and pawn shops here in Tucson. There is a police report and I can be contacted at this email. The picture is of the ES-5 and the LG0, not a clear likeness but i thought I'd include it. I've included the list as an attachment for printing.
Thanks all,
Cyril Barrett

Stolen Items 3.2.2010 in Tucson AZ

Guitars:

1950 Gibson ES-5 Serial # A-5387 All black. Arch top electric with carved soundboard and back. Three P90 pick ups with three volume knobs and one tone knob. Trapeze tailpiece replaced with gold aftermarket part and rubbed to look old. Original Brown case with pink lining. In really good shape overall.

1978 Guild D25M Don?t have serial #. All Mahogany body and neck. Molded back. Well worn around sound hole and back (belt buckle) Grover replacement tuners, the old screw holes are visible on the back of the headstock. The headstock was recently re-attached after it was broken in a fall. Obvious repair at the nut. Original black case with maroon lining. An EZLN sticker prominently on the outside of the case. All edges of the case reinforced with black duct tape.

1960s Gibson LG0 Don?t have serial # Small body acoustic, all mahogany body and neck with rosewood fret board and rosewood bridge. Well worn around the sound hole and back (belt buckle). Small cracks along the grain on the back and soundboard. In a nylon fender gig bag.

1980s Fender Telecaster Squire Don?t have serial # Made in Japan. All black body and pick guard. Six saddle bridge. In a rectangular brown Washburn case.

Hade made 12 string lap steel Serial # 3 under pick guard. Solid one piece body and neck. Rosewood fret board with wire frets and stick on silver stars for fret markers. Rosewood bridge with bone saddle and nut. Vintage orange (pumpkin) stain and 27 coats of urethane. Shaped like a guitar with black pick guard and an old Tiesco del Rey pickup. Volume and tone knobs. Brown hard shell case with grey foam cut out lining. Brass finish screws visible on outside of case.
"You can be a king or a street sweeper but everyone dances with the Grim Reaper"
-Robert Alton Harris

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:26 pm

that was an inside job.

probably some "friend" who happened to know what he had.

that would be the first place i'd look.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Post by supafuzz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:11 pm

Make sure you tell the guys at Rainbow guitars to look out for them.
My cousin Pete fine works in the guitar dept..

Sorry for the loss..it's really bad luck to steal from musicians...I think its 17 years of bad luck
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

firgela
pushin' record

Post by firgela » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:56 am

Thanks supafuzz, I'll pass that on.

The inside job is always a possibility. He said they left his J160E and laptop... cops told him sometimes they come back if anything else was to be had.
"You can be a king or a street sweeper but everyone dances with the Grim Reaper"
-Robert Alton Harris

Spiderhead69
steve albini likes it
Location: The Ice cream truck in my neighborhood plays Helter-Skelter

Post by Spiderhead69 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:50 am

One thing to note too is that he didn't have the serial numbers of his guitars.
Please people, take the time to copy the serial numbers off the equipment and store the information in a safe place. Don't store the information in your laptop because if that is stolen too you've lost that information.
You could also take a picture of the guitars, print out the pictures and record the serial numbers on the back of the picture. This helps the police identify your goods if they are ever recovered.
It also helps you if these serial numbers show up in a pawn shop database.
What do YOU create?

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:34 am

That sucks.

Make a video of your gear, a notebook with serial numbers and model numbers. Make copies and store them at parents, safe box, etc. Makes things much easier for police and your insurance company. Even if you rent, renters insurance will cover gear so long as you get insurance!

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:46 am

Sorry to hear about the loss. I hope such a treasure is found and returned.

As an aside, the free app/service "dropbox" or "evernote" are quite handy for storing important docs that you may need access from anywhere.

Best,

Haroun