FS: Sound Workshop 1280b - all decked out

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

themagicmanmdt
george martin

FS: Sound Workshop 1280b - all decked out

Post by themagicmanmdt » Tue May 04, 2010 9:39 am

I replied to a previous post (or 5), and figured I'd make an official one a little more concise.

Selling my SW 1280b - a 12 ch, 8 buss analog mixing board that:

* has the meterbridge!

* has the Super EQ / 'API 550a style' on the main 8 channels! (i've yet to hear a better EQ that's not an actual API - and that's compared to MCI, Otari, Trident...)

* has an updated Acopian 'A' series 18v external power supply - the internal ones barely provide the current needed for the channels, and a new one is supposed to really increase headroom and help get the S/N ratio down to dead silent. At the moment, the internal PSU is connected, but the external is very easy to get re-connected.

* has all of the line input jacks steel (API style) transformer balanced! one of the bad things about the 1280b's are that they were in the age of 'transformerless' - and the line inputs were unbalanced RCA inputs (that operate at +4 - go figure!). I found the chassis room to install balanced 1/4" jacks and mount 12 freakin huge API style 10k:10k line input transformers. without terminating a balanced line input, the inputs picked up a lot of hash and ground noises, etc. I've made 500% better mixes using the board as the analog 8ch sum from any digital recordings. It's amazing what some steel will do!

* everything is COMPLETELY recapped! all electrolytics have been replaced with the same size and spec cap on all channels. any non-electrolytic tone caps (for the EQs, among others) are stock to retain the hand-selected matching tolerances that the board was built with. High quality Nichicon japanese caps were used. (anything but China...)

* everything is COMPLETELY rechipped! the preamp and driver IC's are, stock, 4541's, which are very, very, very slow slew rate chips, and at first, the board sounds sluggish and high frequencies are very, very harsh if boosted at the EQ's. They're upgraded to TL074's (the same chips used in Neotek Series I/II boards - which the 1280b schematics look VERY close to in theory!), and things got very hi-fi, yet due to the Beyerdynamic mic transformers the board is legendary for and, now, the API-style line input transformers, there's that magic blend of bigness and clarity.

* no scratchy pots, no bad faders, no non-working buss assignments, no finnicky switches. i've used this board since day 1 over here at Stereophonic, and the mix fidelity is just crazy good.

I bought the board and meterbridge three years ago for around $3000, stock, and have since done the recap/rechip/line inputs/PSU/calibrations - which, it's true, cost about one-third of what I paid for the board, parts and hours and hours of labor...

I'm asking $3900 for the board, and here's the kicker - I'll split actual shipping costs to you. I, also, might be able to take the board with me in my RV and personally drive it and deliver it to you for what shipping would cost - I wouldn't mind the fun road trip and knowing that UPS can't damage it.

An API 550 series EQ costs about $1000/channel through Vintage King...here's a chance to get EIGHT really damn close - plus 12 mic preamps - plus a meterbridge -

All of that is what I thought about when I bought the board 3 years ago -

Pictures are over at www.stereophonicstudios.com - please PM me with any questions or if you need more detailed pictures -

-Marshall

(Why am I getting rid of it, you ask? Studio closing, life change, and I've designed a tube preamp that sounds better than anything I've heard. Yes - I designed a dual pentode tube mic preamp that can do 77db of clean, silent gain - and I'm going to build myself a console using this to help fund it!)
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Tue May 04, 2010 12:27 pm

REALLY wish i had the money!

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:17 pm

sad to see this board on the chopping block. :cry:
you are one of the guys that really helped me out when i was getting mine and getting ot up and going. good luck with the sale. the only way that this could be a better deal is if ALL 12 channels were super eq.

i can vouch for the api-ness of the pres and eq as well as the sweetness of the tl074's. mine is completely rechipped(thanks to your help :D )

rich

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Wed May 05, 2010 7:36 am

alas! glad I could help, by the way, rich!

I mean, I'd take a best offer.

so, y'all should PM me.

let's say - best offer by the end of the month wins?
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed May 05, 2010 9:29 am

Now that is tempting....I just may make an offer!

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

More more

Post by norsehorse » Wed May 05, 2010 12:29 pm

I'd love to see some photos (other than the website)!

Any way to sample your new tube circuit? I'll had my TL-Audio M3 Tubetracker stolen, so I'm in the market for a new console (8-12 channels).

Cheerio!

Banana Crotchbuckle
takin' a dinner break

Post by Banana Crotchbuckle » Fri May 07, 2010 5:42 pm

bump for radness - if I only had a car to sell...
i 've got my own map, sucker

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Fri May 07, 2010 10:51 pm

hey everyone -

what if I was to say that I'd take $3000 for it?

maybe, after further thought, I think I don't mind moving on a little faster than I thought.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape

soundnerd
audio school graduate

1280b - upgrade questions

Post by soundnerd » Sat May 08, 2010 9:51 pm

I posted a request for "how to" info on upgrading this console in the DIY section. It seems like you did some really great work to this one, and I wondered if you might have any info to pass on. Good luck in selling this one, wish I had the cash to buy.

-Mike :)

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Mon May 10, 2010 7:47 am

Studio closing!? :(

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon May 10, 2010 4:25 pm

This thing would probably be perfect for me, I just won't have the funds until a few months down the road.

If you still have it then I'll definately be contacting you.

allbaldo
pushin' record

Post by allbaldo » Tue May 11, 2010 5:08 am

I love my stock one, so I'm bettin' this is awesome. Congrats to whoever gets it!

rty5150
pushin' record

Post by rty5150 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:31 am

allbaldo wrote:I love my stock one, so I'm bettin' this is awesome. Congrats to whoever gets it!
if it sounds anything like mine...without a doubt!

mine is chipped and recapped, too, and i don't hesitate to use and praise it.
...and i have preamps that cost more than what i put into the board!

rich

Mauisnow13
audio school

Post by Mauisnow13 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:24 pm

Aww man. I want this. I have a car I'm selling too....haha. May be a bit more than I'm lookin at spending though...