WTB Alesis HD24

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

redlanternpdx
ass engineer

WTB Alesis HD24

Post by redlanternpdx » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:10 pm

I really want an HD24 with a hard drive/or 2 so that it's all ready to use and record on. HD24 regular version is fine by me, though if you have an XR and are thinking about selling, you can get in touch too.
PM me and I'll make offers?

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:07 am

pm'd ya...

mattdhall
pluggin' in mics

Post by mattdhall » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:01 am

Ugh. Why? They use those awful things as the trial by fire at my school, since tape is too expensive now. But basically the lesson you learn is "thankfully we don't have to do this anymore." Awful button-pushy things.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:36 am

mattdhall wrote:Ugh. Why? They use those awful things as the trial by fire at my school, since tape is too expensive now. But basically the lesson you learn is "thankfully we don't have to do this anymore." Awful button-pushy things.
Let me guess, you already have learned everything in your first semester at school and you are ready to "go pro"? And if all you are picking up from using different levels of gear at school is that "thankfully we don't have to do this anymore" you should start evaluating what you are getting out of school right now. Most schools are probably going to teach you basics like signal flow and punching in and out in a linear realm before moving into a computer based workflow. And while you may snicker at using gear that doesn't say SSL or Avid on it, the reality is that what gear are you really going to be using out of school? The correct answer is whatever you can get your hands on or whatever the studio owner allows you (including mop, broom, toilet brush...). It could be Mackie and ADATs and some SM57s.

There are plenty of applications where an HD24 is a good choice... Not the least of which are live multitracks (do you really want to haul your computer around?), permanent installs at auditoriums and churches, as a substitute for a tape machine to someone who already has invested in a console and outboard gear.. I use my HD24XR for transfers off of tape for editing at a studio I do work at that does not have Pro Tools, and I also use it for A/D and D/A conversion in my own PT setup. Part of being thrifty, I got it for cheap because having it offers me the flexibility of bringing work to an all analog studio that I get a cheap day rate at and I can still take me work home for mixing and editing, and because you can't buy standalone converters as good as the HD24XR's for 3 times the price I paid. I can't spend all day snickering at the Alesis label because at the end of the day I can't afford Apogee and I'm confined by my own budget so I use what I can afford.

dwelle
buyin' a studio

Post by dwelle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:47 pm

yeah, what the fuck?

brilliant post there, amigo.

the hd24xr is, at the very least, a kick ass value in 24 A/D/A converters (for those of us who still use mixers and outboard) with a handy dandy hard disk recorder included...

redlanternpdx
ass engineer

Post by redlanternpdx » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:03 am

hey , original post guy here,
Very nice response you had there guy/girl (regarding the in-school HD24 comment).

TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE READING THIS:

I bought a 2" machine and no longer am looking for hd24/hd24xr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(AKA I can't figure out how to delete this thread, any pointers?)
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

katiedawg
audio school graduate

Post by katiedawg » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:12 am

mattdhall wrote:Ugh. Why? They use those awful things as the trial by fire at my school, since tape is too expensive now. But basically the lesson you learn is "thankfully we don't have to do this anymore." Awful button-pushy things.
Ha! HA! HAHAHAHAHA!

Thankfully, you'll likely not be doing any harm in the real world. I've been doing this for over 30 years, and types such as yourself always end up mopping the floor, if they're lucky. If they're not lucky, they never even get a foot in the door, and end up bussing tables, while griping to anyone who'll listen that life is unfair and the world has conspired against their "genius."

Sheesh - learn how to learn!!

mattdhall
pluggin' in mics

Post by mattdhall » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:32 pm

You're right. Sorry.

mattdhall
pluggin' in mics

Post by mattdhall » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:42 pm

katiedawg wrote:
Ha! HA! HAHAHAHAHA!

Thankfully, you'll likely not be doing any harm in the real world. I've been doing this for over 30 years, and types such as yourself always end up mopping the floor, if they're lucky. If they're not lucky, they never even get a foot in the door, and end up bussing tables, while griping to anyone who'll listen that life is unfair and the world has conspired against their "genius."

Sheesh - learn how to learn!!
That seems awfully harsh. An ad-hominem attack in response to a gear gripe?

I'm not some fresh-faced kiddo. I've been recording music at home for the last thirteen years, first on tape multi-track, then on hardware digital recorders. My first experience with DAWs was in the late 90s, and I hated them. Now that they've come of age, it's just really hard for me to imagine using anything else if you have a choice and are going to record digital.

Thanks for the confidence boost, though.