SOLD 1959 Fender Deluxe 5E3 (original?not a reissue)

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

daede
takin' a dinner break

SOLD 1959 Fender Deluxe 5E3 (original?not a reissue)

Post by daede » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:50 am

[SOLD... for the asking price.]

This is an original, 1959 Fender Deluxe amplifier--not a reissue, but the real thing. It's recently been looked over by my tech and given a clean bill of health. It was recapped a couple years ago (with Spragues) and it's ready to go for another few decades.

You can see photos in my Craigslist ad, or I'd be happy to send high-res photos:

This is not a museum piece, so let's get that out of the way. It's largely original--I believe it's the original transformers and everything, but the speaker has been replaced with a beautiful sounding Weber, and it's been recovered. You should have seen the state of the tweed when I got it... normally, I'd be happy to leave the original, worn out tweed, but at some point the amp had been painted black and it wasn't pretty. The recover was done by a local guy who covers amps for Victoria, and he did a really nice job. It's nicely lacquered as it should be.

The amp sounds fantastic--I've used it primarily in the studio and have taken it to the occasional gig. I babied it, but it'd be fine as a nightly-gigged workhorse, too.

Please let me know if you have any questions?thanks!
Last edited by daede on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi,

I don't mean to be critical here or sound like an arse...I own and love vintage amps and just want to bring a few things up.

I would point out that because it's been recovered and not the original speaker, this amp goes for quite a bit less. Also, if not the original transformers, that too makes the value lower. Even though it looks great. (I personally think recovering an amp should improve the value! But that is not the case.)

Another thing is filter capacitors are given a life span of about 10 years. (this is from the manufacture) They will still work beyond this point but will slowly loose the ability to properly filter ripple. They should be changed more often than every few decades.

All of that said, this is a GREAT amp. I am a big fan too of the Webers. Until a person plays a vintage Fender Tweed you can't really appreciate what a great sounding amp it is. I know I certainly didn't.

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 pm

TV Lenny wrote:Hi,

I don't mean to be critical here or sound like an arse...I own and love vintage amps and just want to bring a few things up.

I would point out that because it's been recovered and not the original speaker, this amp goes for quite a bit less. Also, if not the original transformers, that too makes the value lower. Even though it looks great. (I personally think recovering an amp should improve the value! But that is not the case.)

Another thing is filter capacitors are given a life span of about 10 years. (this is from the manufacture) They will still work beyond this point but will slowly loose the ability to properly filter ripple. They should be changed more often than every few decades.

All of that said, this is a GREAT amp. I am a big fan too of the Webers. Until a person plays a vintage Fender Tweed you can't really appreciate what a great sounding amp it is. I know I certainly didn't.

Tom
Which is funny, because the overhauled amps always sound much better than the 'stock all original' ones.

Except when the OT has been replaced. That's different.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:50 pm

There's no doubt the overhauled amps sound way better. They have to because an amp is similar to a car, there are things that wear out over time and usage. The vintage amps that are in near perfect condition are because they were not played that much. (most likely) Which is in some ways bad for an amp. You will see auctions showing pics of the original filter caps, cord, etc. and people seem to think that is ideal! So not only are they paying top dollar for the amp but they'll be paying an immediate trip into the repair shop when they get the amp home and realize it really doesn't work.

But "baby boomers" want as original as possible and they are willing to pay for it. That has a lot to do with what these amps are valued at currently. Maybe in the not so distant future, a vintage amp which has been fully serviced and recovered will be worth what I think it should be.

Tom

Dr. Mordo
audio school

Post by Dr. Mordo » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 pm

TV Lenny wrote:Another thing is filter capacitors are given a life span of about 10 years.
This is arguable. I have a Pioneer receiver from the 60s with original filter caps that sounds amazing. I have another one from the early 70s that sounds just as good.

I wouldn't even consider replacing newer filter caps after 10 years. Maybe 20, but probly more based on modern cap tech. I'd bet that modern caps will last 40-50 years before failure.

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:44 am

This is probably not the appropriate thread to argue cap lifespan. However, ten years is what the manufacture states. Yes, we all have equipment that works fine without newer caps. Would it sound better with new filter caps? Maybe. Some believe it is a little over hyped. I go by experience and taste not what I read on forums.

There is a vast difference between the PSU caps of a stereo and the filter caps installed in a vacuum tube amp. While they technically do the same thing, high voltage, heat, abuse,etc in a tube amp are all factors which can diminish the life of the component.

You could get 40 or so years from a capacitor before it fails. My point was there is a time-frame spec'd by the OEM regarding the PERFORMANCE life of the cap, not when it blows or leaks necessarily. My mixing console was 26 years old before it needed new electrolytic caps in the channel strips. Did it work? Sure but was noisy.

NOW Lets let this guy sell his AMP! :-)

daede
takin' a dinner break

Post by daede » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Sold!
"There's nothing noble in being better than your fellow man. True nobility comes from being better than your former self." Or something like that.

www.dreamachinemusic.com