Trade: my Sountracs Topaz 32 for your ???

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

AlexHerd
takin' a dinner break

Trade: my Sountracs Topaz 32 for your ???

Post by AlexHerd » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:39 am

Ok, time to clean house. I'm lookin to trade this guy, I'm open to a lot, so feel free to made an offer if you have something to trade! Sorry for the crappy pictures, they're all I have at work. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or for more detailed pictures. THANKS! Please email me AlexHerd AT gmail DOT com

This guy needs some work. It has 4 dead channels, 6 dead faders, and the insert jack to group four isn't working. This has been with Jim Sidney @ Gourmet PA, he said that all the problems are easily fixable except the faders, but only because its a hard part to find. He said that it would be fairly easy to move the six dead faders to the end, fix the rest of the problems and have a fully functioning board with 26 channels. That all may sound pretty bad, but most of the console actually works well, and the power supply is 100%. For a few hundred bucks you could have a killer console on your hands. I will send you his full report if you'd like. Comes with manual. So please, throw me some trade offers!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:18 pm

I've had the same board for 7 years now. I fucking love it. I've got a few dead channels as well... But, for what I paid for it.. I don't think I could find anything to match...

AlexHerd
takin' a dinner break

Post by AlexHerd » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:13 am

trodden wrote:I've had the same board for 7 years now. I fucking love it. I've got a few dead channels as well... But, for what I paid for it.. I don't think I could find anything to match...
Ya! Its a really cool board, I'm really surprised I've had no interest in it. I may just have to get it fixed for myself!

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:58 am

I am interested in a LFAC, but this is quite far away from me and honestly a bit scary-sounding (due to the defects), BUT the price is definitely right!! I was thinking Soundworkshop, MCI, Neotek, etc... but maybe I should consider this more seriously....?

-G
Blah!

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:06 pm

so what is the price? I'm guessing this would have to be crated for shipping?

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:18 am

Is this beast still available?
Blah!

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:17 am

evilaudio wrote:I am interested in a LFAC, but this is quite far away from me and honestly a bit scary-sounding (due to the defects), BUT the price is definitely right!! I was thinking Soundworkshop, MCI, Neotek, etc... but maybe I should consider this more seriously....?

-G
I went from an Alesis 32 to a Topaz then a TAC Scorpion then a Soundcraft TS24 and now a Neotek Elite. I really liked the Topaz at the time but it's no MCI or Neotek, but it does a good job, the pres remind me of the Aphex 107 preamps. The routing is really simple and intuitive and the monitoring section has its own eq as well. If Soundtracs had a better marketing presence in the US they would have blown away Mackie...

I waited till I had a few things wrong with it then took it in to the tech since I think the channels are on pcbs in groups of 8, also there is a mod to get the direct outs to +4 that's really simple.

I think Helmet's Strap it On was done on a Topaz.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:27 am

Leopold wrote:
evilaudio wrote:I am interested in a LFAC, but this is quite far away from me and honestly a bit scary-sounding (due to the defects), BUT the price is definitely right!! I was thinking Soundworkshop, MCI, Neotek, etc... but maybe I should consider this more seriously....?

-G
I went from an Alesis 32 to a Topaz then a TAC Scorpion then a Soundcraft TS24 and now a Neotek Elite. I really liked the Topaz at the time but it's no MCI or Neotek, but it does a good job, the pres remind me of the Aphex 107 preamps. The routing is really simple and intuitive and the monitoring section has its own eq as well. If Soundtracs had a better marketing presence in the US they would have blown away Mackie...

I waited till I had a few things wrong with it then took it in to the tech since I think the channels are on pcbs in groups of 8, also there is a mod to get the direct outs to +4 that's really simple.

Eddie

Even though the topaz does the job just fine for the caliber of work I'm doing, I still think of an upgrade someday. I seem to see the TAC scorpions as an affordable "upgrade",, but is there much of a difference between the TAC and the soundtrack? A Neotek, indeed upgrade, and would love to eventually move up to something like that someday.

Leopold
buyin' a studio

Post by Leopold » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:13 pm

trodden wrote:
Leopold wrote:

-G

Eddie

Even though the topaz does the job just fine for the caliber of work I'm doing, I still think of an upgrade someday. I seem to see the TAC scorpions as an affordable "upgrade",, but is there much of a difference between the TAC and the soundtrack? A Neotek, indeed upgrade, and would love to eventually move up to something like that someday.
I like the eqs on the TAC more and pres are thicker sounding and things just sound better but that being said the TAC has a lot more character than the Topaz, it's a much darker board and I remember for some projects having to boost the highs a bit to get rid of some of that. Also the Topaz is inline while the Scorpion was split...

The Vaz's "Dieing to Meet You" was tracked and partially mixed on a TAC Scorpion that my friend Manny had, and I think Albini did some things on a Scorpion as well but I'm not sure which projects. My band Leopold tracked our album on Manny's Scorpion with Alex Newport producing and he seemed to like the sounds just fine but we did use a few Neve and API outboard pres as well. I think the board we mixed on was a Trident.

Eddie
"I raged against the machine and all this money came out!" Bart Simpson