hexaphonic guitar pickups-- a question for you all

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

hexaphonic guitar pickups-- a question for you all

Post by ubertar » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:15 am

Some of you may know I make hexaphonic guitar pickups. If you didn't, and you're reading this, well, now you do. :)

These are fully passive, electromagnetic pickups with a separate output for each string. The signal is run to a breakout box and can go from there to separate amps for each string, or directly to mic pres (no DI necessary) for recording. I also have breakout boxes with switches for combining the separate signals to additional stereo outs. You can choose left or right for each string.

I've been thinking about having a big sale on these at some point in the future, and I'm curious-- if you're someone who has an interest in these, what would be a price where you just couldn't say no? The standard hex single coil normally goes for $135. I haven't decided yet if that's the model I'm going to put on sale (or if I'm going to have a special sale price at all) but let's use that as a starting point.

What I'm trying to figure out here is whether a reduced price will make any difference in sales numbers or not, and if so, is it enough to be worth it? How much is price a factor in deciding whether or not to get a hex pickup, and how much of a price difference would it take to get someone off the fence? If I sell twice as many at half the price, all I've done is made myself work twice as hard for the same money--less, actually, because it's twice the materials. So the goal here is to find the magic number that will increase sales beyond the loss of revenue from the price drop/added materials cost.

Thanks for reading this... I welcome all questions and comments.

**Just to be clear-- if you throw a number out there, I'm NOT going to take that as a commitment from you to actually buy something. I'm just curious as to what people here think these are worth to them. By saying, "X is a good sale price" you're not agreeing to buy anything, and I'm not going to ask you to follow through.

Also, any suggestions for how to improve the website-- what other info you would want to see, format issues, etc. would be welcome. I'm planning on adding a page comparing the different options: standard, plus, single vs. humbucker.
Last edited by ubertar on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:03 am

I built these too back in the 1970's when I was working with Rex Bogue. We fitted them on guitars for Zappa and others at that time. It was considered new as it was at that time. It didn't catch on like many 1970's concepts.

We also used them to trigger 6 Oberheim synth modules, the first guitar synth. In the end most felt it was a gimmick and went on their monophonic ways.

It was again brought back in the early 1990's with Parker and Van Halen.
I don't know if those models are still available or not.

It sort of reminds me of surround sound, another concept created in the 1970's and periodically brought back about every 20 years or so.

These days I use a Roland hex pickup for my Axon guitar synth, the rest are classic pickups from the "golden age".
Last edited by Jim Williams on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:02 am

Hi Jim. Actually the concept wasn't even new in the 70s. There were hex designs and patents by Gretsch, among others, going back at least to the 50s, if not earlier. I'll post links if I can dig them up... no time now. The difference, IMO, between then and now is digital recording technology, and the easy access to it. There's a lot more the average person can do with separate string outputs now than ever before. I guess you were ahead of your time.

Jim Williams
tinnitus

Post by Jim Williams » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:22 am

ubertar wrote: I guess you were ahead of your time.
Yes, that seems to be a recurring problem for me. Maybe I was born too early?
Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:00 pm

I bought one and think it's fun.
It's wired it up simple, every other pole goes to a TRS for stereo output.
Not sure how much price would change sales numbers, it seems like somebody either wants to do something different to a guitar or they don't?? :?
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:17 pm

I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism...

I think that your product is very appealing. The website does not represent the product very well. It isn't streamlined enough. Perhaps what you need is a nice picture, brief description, price, then an "add to cart" button. Organize it by 6 string guitars, 7 string guitars and bass guitars. Reading through paragraphs, then scrolling down to find a price might not appeal to many buyers.

I would also scrap the basic breakout box. Just offer the upgraded box to keep things simple. Perhaps simplify pricing. Give package prices with an option to increase if there is a pickup upgrade. Also, is there enough of a difference between pickups where offering another option is worth the possible "option paralysis"? A $199 package would probably make a bunch of sense.

This is a product that probably has a decent sized market, although focused. I suspect some focused marketing would serve you well. I am rooting for you!

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:22 pm

Looks cool, I think I've been on your site before. Not sure that price is a leading factor on these, IMHO, it is for the most part a niche market and application, unless you can convince otherwise? I think it would be worth your time to do some good demo videos, suggesting various applications...you know sell your product tell everybody WHY it is cool, rather than just offer a cool product. I'm pretty interested in trying one out, would have to find a donor guitar for it. For example, I think I could make great use out of one, if implemented properly.

Not trying to to be a lowballer...but I think that the hex humbucker for example is priced a hair out of my league, costing more than a complete set of (3) Lace Alumitones that i recently installed in one guitar. Obviously, I understand that you are a one man operation and as I addressed in my first sentence, producing a niche product with no mass production. But to give a point of perspective (at least the best comparison I can make, comparing to other one man boutique pickup shops, as I haven't looked up others in the hex market), the price is higher than say...Curtis Novak pickups. Another comparison I can make is to Flatpups, who make single string humbucker pickups...granted they are designed for CBGs but you can put them in anything obviously, and a different design than what you are offering...but they are advertised at $29 each.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:51 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Some really good ideas in there. I'm always open to constructive criticism. I've learned a lot even from the not-so-constructive criticism I've gotten over time.

My main problem now is time... I've been wanting to restructure the site, make more sound samples, add videos, etc. for a while. Unfortunately I have very little time to work. My daughter is in day care 3 days a week and is otherwise home, so I only have 3 days to work full-time. The other days I can work for a while once she's gone to bed, if I'm not wiped out by then (she's 2). I can get some work done on weekends, when my wife can watch her. About half my job is just answering people's questions via email and keeping them up to date on when things have been shipped, etc. A high % of orders are custom orders, with long conversations preceding them. The rest is mostly making the pickups and boxes, testing them, packaging them and shipping them out. I'm always doing R&D into possible new products and improvements on the existing ones, and currently I'm doing R&D for a couple instrument companies, which is very exciting.

wren
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by wren » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

I've been wanting to buy one of your seven-string versions for awhile; if you could get the package of 7-string standard, 7-out breakout box, and cable to a little under $200 I'd absolutely jump at it.
"I don't need time, I need a deadline." -Duke Ellington

"I liked the holes in it as much as I liked what was in them." -Tom Waits