2 Vintage Ampex 601 Tube Mic Preamps- FULLY RESTORED/ MODDED

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

msmith
pushin' record

2 Vintage Ampex 601 Tube Mic Preamps- FULLY RESTORED/ MODDED

Post by msmith » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Up for sale is 2 FULLY RESTORED and MODIFIED Ampex 601 tube mic preamps. Beautiful sounding/looking mid 50?s EF86 tube mic preamp/DI with tons of TONE and CLASS! This unit has been COMPLETELY GONE THROUGH and is PLUG PLAY ready!
If you?ve ever wanted one of these for your studio, this is the one! Completely recapped and all superfluous electronics were pulled properly. In addition some modifications were made for studio use:
Front Panel ?Phones? jack is now a proper Direct Input feeding straight into the first tube stage grid. These are INCREDIBLE DI?s when converted properly(as this one has been).
Front Panel ?Power? switch has been converted into a Meter Defeat switch, which is VERY handy on these units. The power switch has been relocated to the back panel which also helps lower noise in the unit.
Front panel ?Input/Tape? rotary switch now switches between Mic, Mic Pad, and Line levels. This allows you to easily use this guy on a wide variety of input sources.
Front panel ?Line Rec Level? is now a 2 position Rotary switch that switches between transformer, and transformerless output. Fantastic option that really opens up the sonic potential of these preamps.
The EF86 versions of these units have a fantastic sound when restored properly, and really rival anything out there. Beautiful top and wonderful rich mid-range. The VU bulbs are brand new, and the audio tubes are Vintage Mullards.
This unit sounds fantastic, and is absolutely plug and play ready. All the work put into this guarantees years of studio life ahead. Get it!

I have 2 of these units in identical shape.
599.99 each + shipping/paypal
Mattie
512-696-9042
Last edited by msmith on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:55 pm

Nice!
Love to see pics...

Also, if you are the one doing the modding, I have one of these kicking around if you are looking for another to mod...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:56 pm

Nice!
Love to see pics...

Also, if you are the one doing the modding, I have one of these kicking around if you are looking for another to mod...
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Here is a link to the local CL ad I have in Austin. Im too dumb to put pictures here for some reason.
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/4223499887.html
:D
And, yes, I can mod Ampex's for other people as well.[/quote]

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:26 am

I still have these for sale! I am open to reasonable offers.