Vintage Ampex 601 tube mic pre COMPLETE REFURB + STEREO MOD

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

msmith
pushin' record

Vintage Ampex 601 tube mic pre COMPLETE REFURB + STEREO MOD

Post by msmith » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:26 pm

Up for sale is a vintage Ampex 601 that has been completely restored and setup for stereo use. This is one of my personal pieces, and she's made a lot of records with me, but I gotta pay some bills.
I've restored a lot of these Ampex units and modified a ton of them for studio use. The power supply, chassis, and general layout provides all of the necessary infrastructure for a stereo preamp, they just didn't come setup that way. THIS UNIT FEATURES TWO DISCRETE CLASSIC ORIGINAL AMPEX 601 MIC PREAMPS IN ONE CHASSIS. They sound incredible- warm and colored with enough gain for ribbons.
In addition to COMPLETELY RECAPPING, REWIRING, AND OVERHAULING the entire unit, I've made some modifications for modern studio use:

BOTH CHANNELS COMPLETELY TRANSFORMER BALANCED IN AND OUT WITH VINTAGE GATES/TRIAD AND UTC transformers. Tons of gain retaining all of the vintage color and warmth with upgraded vintage trannies.

BOTH CHANNELS FEATURE A PROPER DI STAGE located on the front panel feeding the grid of the first tube stages. These DI's absolutely kill.

BOTH CHANNELS FEATURE INDEPENDENT GAIN CONTROL AND SHARE A STEREO MIC- MIC PAD- and LINE PAD SELECTOR located on the middle rotary switch,

VU METER SETUP TO TOGGLE BETWEEN CHANNELS, AS WELL AS BYPASS. You can monitor either channel one or channel two, or bypass the meter when driving the unit hard.

This unit is completely overhauled and ready to make fantastic recordings right out of the box.
999.99 plus shipping
Mattie
512-696-9042

msmith
pushin' record

Post by msmith » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:25 am

SOLD