FS: Otari MX5050 BIIHD + M-Audio ProjectMix (Portland, OR)

*Gear*ed towards individuals who are buying/selling - NOT a place for businesses to post their goods for sale.

Moderators: TapeOpLarry, tomb

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

FS: Otari MX5050 BIIHD + M-Audio ProjectMix (Portland, OR)

Post by Tims96 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:20 pm

I'm moving and decided it's time to sell some old gear.

Otari MX5050 - $100
I got this for free from a theater company that was using it as a prop. Full disclosure, I do not know the working condition of this machine. When I last tested it, the mic pres, line outs, and headphone outs were all working, but I have not tested transport or heads. The pinch roller on the right-hand side is missing, as you can see in the pictures. It's also fairly scuffed cosmetically.

It may just need a new pinch roller and be good to go, but it may also need further work before working up to spec.

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/6qdebvad8kgi ... rcNN2W9D0a

M-Audio ProjectMix I/O - $100 - <a>about</a>
This is a combined Firewire interface + control surface that has plenty of caveats.

Caveat #1: I had it modded by one of the techs at a respected mastering studio in Southern California while I was an intern there. He replaced capacitors on mic pres 3 + 4 and replaced an op-amp in mic pre 3. High-end response improved, but a few months later channel 4 stopped working, and has been kaput ever since. Channel 3 still works, but only as a mic pre, so line input is not an option. Bottom line is you only have 7 channels of pres.

Caveat #2: I tried updating the firmware in 2012 and the control surface stopped working. I called Avid support (who owned M-Audio at the time) and was unable to resolve the issue. So that doesn't work, though it may be possible to revive it with further troubleshooting. Bottom line is this unit is now just 7 mic pres and a Firewire interface.

I also have a road case that I've been using with the ProjectMix (though it's not specifically made for it) that I'll include for an extra $50.

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/kwdhr0n9rl3b ... EIZNGSLdKa

Local pickup in PDX is much preferred as shipping will not be cheap on these, but I'm open to discussing shipping to the continental US.

PM or reply here with your interest.
Thanks,
Tim

*Edited with links to photos

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:42 am

Hey,

I'll take that Otari machine. I'm in PDX.

Sending PM as well . . .
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!